"Northern Pike"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Northern Pike"

We've owned our home in Tupper Lake now for about 5 years now. Have spent time in the Adirondacks for decades now. I recently bought a used Lund 1725 tiller boat. Looking for some helpful advice for pike fishing. And yes.....I'm in search of the big ones.

Any help or advice would be helpful. Have no problem trailering to close by water if needed.

Any help would be appreciated. If a public forum isn't the way to go. Just PM me. And if you'd like to join me let me know!

Patrick

Originally posted by PJFFF View Post
    We've owned our home in Tupper Lake now for about 5 years now. Have spent time in the Adirondacks for decades now. I recently bought a used Lund 1725 tiller boat. Looking for some helpful advice for pike fishing. And yes.....I'm in search of the big ones.

Any help or advice would be helpful. Have no problem trailering to close by water if needed.

Any help would be appreciated. If a public forum isn't the way to go. Just PM me. And if you'd like to join me let me know!

Patrick
    When I was a kid we used to stay on Lower Saranac. There was an older guy who used to have me catch perch for him. In the late afternoon he would go to the end of the dock and put a large perch on a hook and throw it out under a huge bobber. The perch would swim around and he would smoke his pipe and just watch. More often than not he would get a nice Northern. Other than that I don't know much about pike fishing.
    “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Tupper Lake has very large pike as does Cranberry Lake. Tupper is loaded with smelt which provides good forage for the Walleye, Northern, and Lake Trout. Every year someone seems to pull a Northern out of Cranberry ice fishing that approaches the 20 lb mark. Not sure how it fishes otherwise.

Comment

Thanks guys responding.

My home is on Simond Pond. Familiar with the smelt in Tupper which is good and bad. Big fish that are challenging to catch. With as many small Pike they catch during the yearly tournament, would you believe there would be some larger ones worth trolling for around me? Not afraid to invest the time!

Patrick

Comment

The Raquette River from Tupper on up to the rapids is great Pike fishing. Cast along the shoreline.

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post
            The Raquette River from Tupper on up to the rapids is great Pike fishing. Cast along the shoreline.

Thank you Jim, I will certainly try that!

Comment

For what it's worth, I've caught some nice pike in Stony Creek ponds and Middle Saranac Lake. I used to lead a lot of post-graduation canoe trips for colleges and found myself in those locations quite often. Always good pike fishing after dinner when the day's chores had been cared for. My guess is you'll still find it that way unless something horrific has occurred in those waters. A #2 gold bladed Mepps kept me happy for hours.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                For what it's worth, I've caught some nice pike in Stony Creek ponds and Middle Saranac Lake. I used to lead a lot of post-graduation canoe trips for colleges and found myself in those locations quite often. Always good pike fishing after dinner when the day's chores had been cared for. My guess is you'll still find it that way unless something horrific has occurred in those waters. A #2 gold bladed Mepps kept me happy for hours.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
                Thank you Snapper! I take a ride over this spring and check it out. Be well also.

Patrick

Comment

Would anyone have thoughts about trolling or casting Simond. With so many smaller Pike being caught with upwards of a 1000 guys and snowmobiles on the ice during the tournament the big boys should be there too.......? Maybe seeking refuge with all the footsteps. Lol

Trying to learn and shorten the curve.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by PJFFF View Post
                    Thank you Jim, I will certainly try that!
                    A nice day trip would be to motor up the bottom of the rapids and then drift back with the current casting as you go.
                    Very relaxing, beautiful scenery.
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
                      Tupper Lake has very large pike as does Cranberry Lake. Tupper is loaded with smelt which provides good forage for the Walleye, Northern, and Lake Trout. Every year someone seems to pull a Northern out of Cranberry ice fishing that approaches the 20 lb mark. Not sure how it fishes otherwise.
                      I've seen the efforts of DEC to maintain those monsters, loads of stocked trout at the boat launch, pooled together in shock deciding their next move!
                      Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                      Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I always have decent luck casting big spoons like red and white daredevils

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Where is PikeBuster when we need him? I believe he was deployed overseas some time ago.

Comment

My goal for this year is to catch a Northern on a Fly!!
                              "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
                              ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

Working...
                              X