Salmon and lake trout trolling spoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon and lake trout trolling spoons

I haven't had much luck so far trolling in the adirondacks for lake trout and salmon on the smallest mooslook wobbler spoons, wd dreamweaver , and scorpion Michigan stinger spoons .... I was wondering what works better for everyone else for spoon brands and sizes ?would the bigger size large or junior spoons specificaly for mooslook wobblers work than the smaller size I'm using? Also does the copper or gold blanks do better in the tea stained water than Nickel silver blanks ? I mainly fish lake placid, tupper lake , upper saranac lake, Taylor pond , lake george and raquatte lake

44 Sutton and lead core Slow drift and jerking the spoon

Comment

Minnow imitating lures like Rapala are also good for each of these fish.

Comment

I'd have a couple Lake Clear wabblers in the box too. Put a smelt imitator behind it and slow troll over deep water between points and islands. I've never pulled one using lead core, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. Good luck!

Comment

I use silver spoons about 3 1/2 to 4" long and about 3/4 inch wide at the widest point. I usually stick to silver to imitate smelt, which is usually the predominant forage fish. Will switch colors if not having luck. I fish the spoons off a 3 way and bounce the sinker off the bottom. Or raise it up if I mark fish up in the water column. Lightweight flutter spoons are best IMO. The Crossroads deli and bait shop is just off one of the Northway exits near Chestertown (not sure which one) and they have a good selection of spoons. I have also had good luck with soft baits with paddle tails, again about smelt size and color. I'd send pics but I'm in California at present and not near my tackle. My most successful lure is a jig though, 3/8 to 1/2 oz tied with bucktail and quite a bit of flash on the sides. I tie them mostly white with either a black or dark blue top on them, again to imitate smelt. Putting some scent on them seems to help some too. I don't vertical jig with them but cast them far behind the boat and jig the rod as I troll along. Good luck.

Comment

I am also partial to a Sutton 44, which fits EagleCrag's specs pretty well, mostly in silver. I've also done well on both species with Fluorescent Orange Mooselicks. If I am targeting Lakers, I'm bouncing bottom, but for Landlocks I stay way up in the water column, and I troll fast. This is getting harder to do now that I am relying on oar power, but most of my hits come when I've got the boat moving pretty good. When I used to run a motor, I would sometimes get them in the prop wash, and the boat would be well above the idle speed I use for Lake trout.

Comment

Working...
            X