Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose tying now

My tribute to Journey .... "Whose tyin' now?"

I hope everyone is staying safe and looking forward to spring. It seems that the forum has (understandably) been somewhat quiet this year. Just wanted to touch base and see if anyone has been tying this winter. I finished my chironomids and boobies. On to the leeches and scuds now.

Stay safe everyone and best of luck.
    Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Well,

If you ask me what I'm doing here... I'm holding up a lamp post.
    It's fast women, slow horses, unreliable sources
    And I'm holding up a lamp post. See...?

I'm in bed with my four-legged wife listening to Tom Waits getting drunk with Louie Armstrong.

I quit tying flies because the nymphs don't sprout wings anymore like they used too.
    This sad path has led me to the Jitterbug:

Listen to the full album: http://bit.ly/38pJ3X8"Jitterbug Boy (Sharing A Curbstone With Chuck E. Weiss, Robert Marchese, Paul Body and The Mug and Artie)" by...

And if you're listening to Journey on your journey... your path is sadder than mine.

Comment

re: Who's Tying

Already filled one of those big plastic compartment boxes with trout flies, a couple other smaller fly boxes, and did a few Steelhead patterns as well. I haven't done so much tying in many years, but since I can't really get out too much during this pandemic, I made a point of sitting down almost every evening to tie a different pattern. Probably over a 1000 flies so far. Most years I typically just tie whatever I need right before I go on a trip to replenish what I've used earlier. Now I should be good for quite a long time and get to use some patterns I've never tried before.
      I also started tying some Steelhead patterns just to do something new. I'll probably donate them to my local TU chapter, or my niece who works near the Salmon River, and is occasionally getting some time off to fish there.
      No time better than the present to fill those boxes for next season!
      Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

Lazy as heck and haven't even started...
        Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

I WAS tying feverishly while enjoying my time away from coaching, but kind of got some tier's block. my boxes are overflowing right now and I've given away a ton of flies just to make room....BUT...time at the vise is always time well spent so i'm happy. I'm dying for spring. This is the first winter in a while that I have seen this level of sustained snowpack so winter fly fishing has been a little difficult. Hopefully that is good news for the spring however
          "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Lee Wulff

Comment

I'm short on hares ears and scuds, so I need to spend a couple nights at the vise

Comment

Show me a Green Drake or similar mayfly.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

My fly box has always been short on caddis flies, so I'm resolving that issue now. I purchased the book, CADDISFLIES by Gary LaFontaine which is loaded with information. I'm stocking up on nymph, pupa, emergers and dry versions. Finding patterns on you tube that I'm following. When tying I stick to flies that are quick and simple to tie versus ones that are more complicated and require a bigger investment of time. That's not because I don't feel capable, but feel that simplicity should be a prerequesite for a good fly imitation. Realistic looking flies (life like) don't necessarily catch more fish.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
                  My fly box has always been short on caddis flies, so I'm resolving that issue now. I purchased the book, CADDISFLIES by Gary LaFontaine which is loaded with information. I'm stocking up on nymph, pupa, emergers and dry versions. Finding patterns on you tube that I'm following. When tying I stick to flies that are quick and simple to tie versus ones that are more complicated and require a bigger investment of time. That's not because I don't feel capable, but feel that simplicity should be a prerequesite for a good fly imitation. Realistic looking flies (life like) don't necessarily catch more fish.
                  Ha! I just bought that book from Thrift Books Eagle. Hopefully we both learn something from it. Just tied up some peeping caddis this weekend.

I agree with you on the investment of time. I don't want to spend a half hour tying a fly (other than the soaking bread crust). Still trying to figure out what simple patterns work best though. The journey is as rewarding as the fishing for me though.
                  Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Was thinking of match tying and wondered if anyone had tried mayflys.
                    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Lafontaine's book is THE book on caddisflies, and the deep and emerging pupa are must have flies for stream fishing, and an orange one is killer in Trout Ponds as fall comes on.

I've been telling myself I should be tying all winter, and I'm just going to get started and now we're going to have a thaw, which means I can chase steelhead 20 minutes from home and within the "Old Farts stay within 15 miles of home" rule, so I may be tying as I need 'em again this year! If I can get more than 15 miles from home!

Comment

re: Who's tying now

I tie a LOT of parachute type patterns. Klinkhamer types are my favorite (my avatar). Parachutes seem to be the best of multiple worlds for fishing either an emerger, cripple, spinner, or dry fly all at once. Virtually any classic dry fly has a parachute type variant. Put a white, pink or chartreuse post (I use turkey flats, but poly-yarn works well too), and they are easily seen while riding in the surface film and the trout don't care about the color of that post. Now that my boxes are filled, I'm just experimenting with other patterns I find on the web while waiting for season to begin again. Cheers.
                        Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                          Was thinking of match tying and wondered if anyone had tried mayflys.
                          I've tried mayflies but find them a bit bitter unless marinated.
                          “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                          ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Classic pattern

This is a Lew Oatman pattern, the Cutlips Minnow. I always liked the look of the dun hackles flanking the olive. The lavender body really sets the wing off. I'll try it this spring.
                            Attached Files
                            “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Working...
                            X