Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
terijohn
primitivecampers

Question Kayak

We got new kayaks for Christmas...looking for a good spot for newbies with some primitive camping and maybe some short carries to other ponds...any ideas??
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
voltar

Stillwater reservoir is a great place to paddle and camp in the spring and fall but gets heavy traffic during the summer. If you are looking for routes that cover multiple body’s of water, anywhere within the Saint Regis Canoe Area is a great place to start, your only restriction will be the amount of time you have to explore.
voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Bog river Flow and Lows Lake are very popular with kayakers...the itty bitty carry is easy for any weight boat, and there are ample sites...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Waterspyder

I agree with the Bog River - Lows Lake paddle. Another popular paddle with kayaks is from Axton Landing to Raquette Falls (lower fall) and camping near the falls. No carries on the Axton to Raquette falls paddle. Bog River - Lows Lake is fairly flat wide trail carry and if you have a cart it's a walk in the park.
Waterspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
terijohn
primitivecampers

Thanks for all the input...We did ST. Regis Pond last year for 3 days, but our Canoe is large and heavy so the carry in off of Little Clear was not fun...our time there was but we did not go to other ponds...may look at that for kayak trip...

We were looking at Lows lake...

Still lots of time to decide...spring can't get here soon enough!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
woj

Fall Stream at Piseco Lake.

Pretty easy to get to and would make a nice day trip and/or short overnight into Vly Lake.

From Vly Lake, you have the option to take a side trip over to Mud Lake, and I believe that you can continue upstream to Fawn Lake and from there you could portage to Sacandaga Lake. This is easier of course if you started at Sacandaga Lake, portaged and then took the current downstream to Piseco (nice overnight trip if you have two vehicles).

It has been a long while since I have been that far upstream so I can't commment on current conditions, but I remember my last time being an enjoyable trip.

It looks as though someone else reviewed the stream a few years ago, but there is a pretty good description here: http://www.examiner.com/article/adir...ng-fall-stream

~Woj
woj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
bluequill

Follensby Clear to Floodwood via Fish Cr. You can also carry to Middle, Polliwog and back to Follensby Clear. That loop can be done in a day but there are some nice campgrounds throughout the area.

Also, don't overlook Hoel to Long Pond in SRCW. You would need to spot two vehicles or arrange a shuttle with St Regis Canoe Outfitters for small fee.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
DAKyakker67

Hi, I was able to get out on North Lake in October, and the DEC has quite a few free sites on the northwest side of the lake, but they attract a sizeable number of people in season, not what many would really think of as primitive, but there are no facilities besides several widely scattered outhouses. Years ago I was on the lake during summer months and remember struggling with both the powerboat traffic and low water levels, so I was very pleased to find neither was an issue in the fall. I put in at the south end on one of the free (and empty!) public use sites and even with 15 mph winds I was able to enjoy the day very much. The northern end of the lake was my favorite, and with the higher water I was able to get a good ways back into two feeder creeks that empty into the lake. The loons were my only company that Sunday, which sort of surprised me since the weather was great, partly sunny and almost 60. You'll have to load the boats up & drive over, but South Lake is nearby and is also a great paddle. The DEC has a boatlaunch where you can park & put in, though I would hold off on South Lake on a windy day, the area where you put in is somewhat exposed and its a good paddle before you can get in the lee of the shore if the wind is out of the west/northwest. Both are in the southern end of the park and easy to find. If you are familiar with the Buffalo Head restaurant in Forestport you'll have no trouble finding them....the restaurant is on North Lake rd, follow that until the pavement ends, then keep going...you'll see a sign for NorthLake painted on a rock on the side of the road just before the turnoff for the DEC sites.
DAKyakker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
terijohn
primitivecampers

I've never heard of North Lake of Forestport...I will have to look them up.

Thanks to all for all the great ideas...Can not wait for warmer weather!