Northern Pike Wilderness Trip Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Pike Wilderness Trip Advice

I have tried to do some research on my own, but figured it would not hurt to ask here as well. I am looking to make a 7-8 day canoe trip with the main focus being Northern Pike. I know most of the remote ponds and wilderness of the Adirondacks contain Brookies, and those are certainly fun to catch, but I just get such a kick out of catching Northern. I just got back from a trip in the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest area with my girlfriend and it was great finding Northern in a few of those ponds, but it just was not the "remote" experience I am looking for. Does anyone out there happen to have advice on where I could find more of a wilderness setting that contains Northern Pike? I would really appreciate any help or hints!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
    In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
    And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
    But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
    ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Raquett river at Axton landing all the way to the falls

Comment

spy lake is a nice paddle, has a couple good campsites, and lots of northerns...

Comment

Those both do look really nice! Thank you! Spy Lake has now re-caught my interest. I had it on a list of places I wanted to check out and forgot all about it. How is the fishing on the West side of the put-in, in the big bay? If I remember I read something about Tiger Muskie in there?

Comment

Spy lake has lots of chain pickerel, but never heard of anyone catching a northern in there. Also, since covid began the gate has remained closed with a posted sign on it. So I would plan on accessing from up the outlet, which should be doable with water levels this high.

Comment

Never done it (I'd love to), but I've heard the Beaver River impoundments from Stillwater Res to Crogan are good pike waters, with plenty of camping (and portages) along he way.
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

the road is open to spy lake. if the gate is closed, it's not locked, just close it when you're done. i went left from the launch, just past the island seemed to be the hotspot, for me. we went down the outlet, in high water, thinking we could get to mud lake, but it was impassable, without a lot of walking in muck...

Comment

@Buckladd I just took a look at the Beaver River Canoe Route, that looks like a really interesting idea as well! Some promising waters all along the way with some fun looking paddling. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

@Moodyblues Thank you for the info! I definitely plan to make a trip there soon to scout it out a bit more. I would not mind wading through the muck and mire to do a little exploring.
                Last edited by Jwojcik1990; 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Pine Pond has pike.
                  Sorry not saying which Pine Pond, but it’s about a 2 mile hike.

Comment

@Justin A name and a distance should be enough for me to figure it out, thank you!

Comment

This info is available from Google. Knowing where is a good start. Catching them is another topic.
                      Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

i grew up lliterally on the Black River near Lowville many years ago, where I spent my youth with a floating dock and small boat. A couple of buddies and I went fishing for pike, walleyes, and bass nearly every day. I used to know all the favored hot spots for pike, all the submerged logs and expansive weed bed hide-outs back then from Lyons Falls almost all the way to Carthage. In more recent years, paddling through while canoe race training, I don't even recognize the river any more. There are none of the old weed beds at all in existance where they once grew thick. I suppose the river is cleaner now with fewer farms polluting, that may be the reason. I've not tried fishing to any degree recently, but have threatened to try again.
                        Last edited by Wldrns; 07-29-2021, 08:57 AM.
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Many years ago I found fossilized remains embedded in the bed rock beside a section of the Black River but most of my pike success was either in the St Lawrence or a tributary. They would lie in wait 20 feet down where the weeds could hide them as they waited to ambush. A Johnson's Silver Spoon could get them to bite.
                          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I just returned a week ago from visiting a friend's camp on Soft Maple Reservoir which lies along the Beaver River Canoe Route. I didn't bring a fishing pole but the water looked like great smallmouth water and my host indicated that they do stock Tiger Muskies in there. Not sure about pike.

Comment

I grew up in the area and frankly, aside from Middle and out into Tupper, the park does not offer the best pike fishing in the area. For that you should thrash any water that leads to the St. Lawrence and the Saint Lawrence. The rivers all hold lot's of pike as well as muskie. I don't like to give away my honey holes and even the statement that water leading into the big river feels like I'm letting the cat out of the bag but if it's pike you want, they are there . They love the weedy beds and channels in these rivers. Because you can work the current with them I have always had the best luck with Mepps spinners, the bigger the better. Fancy colors are not necessary but they work. Silver Aglia's are my favorite for some of these cloudy spots. Cast to edge of the weeds near a drop off and wait for them to hit. If you do use the big Aglies, don't be surprised to hook into sunken wood. There are old sunken boom logs hidden in some of the holes. Muskie are also around. I had one take my spinner on the lower end of the *** river near *** and brought it to 10 feet from my canoe before it casually spit my lure out...casually, sput, done. It did me a favor. There was no way that thing was going to end up in my canoe without someone ending up in the water. it was massive.

Comment

Working...
                              X