No announcement yet.

"Northern Pike"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do much pike fishing, and most that I catch are on bass lures and not intentional, including topwater plugs. A friend of mine uses orange spinnerbaits, another uses white, for pike. So try casting those colors near summer lily pads.

An old-timer told me to use big lures for big fish when chasing Durant tiger muskies. It worked and I hooked one a few summers ago on a big perch imitation top-water bait that I was dragging behind my kayak. I lost the fish at the boat, but it was exciting.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

looking forward to getting out there this year. Plan on spending a decent amount of time on the water. Is it true the Tupper has a population of Tigers too? Someone told me that.

Comment

Used to catch pike using Rappala floating plugs on Crooked Creek which is a tributary of St Lawrence many moons ago. But Glenn's idea is a good one with a little variation. Attach a good weight to the bottom of your line. About four feet up tie another line to the original line with a hook at the end of it. Use a bluegill or perch and hook it through the tail. It will swim in a circle around the main line. Since bigger fish eat smaller fish head first a pike will especially be attracted to this rig especially bigger pike. If you catch and release use a cradle if you can. A bite from a pike can do damage to you hand so if you plan on keeping the fish you may want to dispatch it with a club. I used to use part of an oar handle when I planned to eat them but mostly I just let them go. I used a very large net. This was in the St Lawrence at a time when Sturgeon were plentiful. Long ago memories. Good luck.
        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by PJFFF View Post
          looking forward to getting out there this year. Plan on spending a decent amount of time on the water. Is it true the Tupper has a population of Tigers too? Someone told me that.

I dont think tupper has a population of Tigers per say, however they have been caught there. Tigers are found in Horseshoe lake and some have been known to make it out and down the river to tupper.

Comment

Have a pair of needle nose pliers with you, whether you intend to keep or release the fish. Northerns are some of the best eating fish out there. Some people don't like them because of all the Y bones, but there's a filleting method to get rid of them

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
              Have a pair of needle nose pliers with you, whether you intend to keep or release the fish. Northerns are some of the best eating fish out there. Some people don't like them because of all the Y bones, but there's a filleting method to get rid of them

Northern pike are known as a tricky fish to fillet boneless due to the high amount of y bones. Today I show you the best way to clean a pike, resulting in 5 ...
              Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
              Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post

LONG needle pliers.
                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Thank you all who contributed.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that, generally speaking, large pike and small pike hang out in different areas. "Hammer Handles" - small guys in that 18" range are plentiful and are aggressive. You can generally pound these pretty easily. It's hard sometimes to move from these fish when biting to another area.

But if you want the bigger fish then move from these areas and into habitat conducive to big pike. Good luck.

Comment

Long shadows, long Pike. And thin water, fat Pike.

Comment

Troll fast slow all day. Fire tiger and gold and black probably works the best in the adk. Go on the hottest days and fish deep structures and big wind on the hot days. Don't need to go any deeper than 15 down with the baits. Long line some back far of a board one in the prop wash don't stop moving. Low pressure days are the best and if it sunny and low pressure even better.

Comment

Hey all I’ve been on a hiatus studying underwater basket weaving in the mountains of Afghanistan but I got called back by glen to teach VT how to fly fish. With that being said pike fishing for me is most productive in the morning and in the evening, I like using large spinners and spoons like Mepps and doctor spoons. Fire tiger patterns seem to work really good in shallow weedy areas. Remember take lots of beer with you Busch light is the preferred drink of the superior fish
                          in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

Good to hear from you buster!
                            “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Pikebuster!!! Welcome back! Glen will never teach me to fly fish so I might as well surrender and fish for the prehistoric fish with you. Busch Lite is a non starter however.
                              Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Good to see you back Pikebuster.

Comment

Working...
                                X