Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
woj

Peaked Mountain Attempt - 12/28/12

My friend and I thought that giving Peaked Mountain a try would be a nice winter hike, as most of the trip is of gradual grade to the base of the mountain and it would give me a chance to shakedown some new gear I got for Christmas.

We arrived at the trailhead, which was well plowed and found that we were the first to arrive. At about 9:30 we started down the trail toward Peaked Mountain, after poking around Thirteenth Lake a little and watching a weasel run back and forth across the snow.

The trail was well marked with red trail markers and the occasional blaze, and we found 12 - 18" of fresh powder greeted us. It took us close to an hour to cover the first .9 miles of the trail, where the trail turns and follows Peaked Mountain Brook upstream, and the Hour Pond Trail breaks off from the trail.

From the split, we found anywhere between 12 - 24" of fresh powder, which made for slow going with me on my 25" MSR's and she on her 21" Tubbs. Switching off while breaking trail was strenuous and there were some "explicatives" muttered by the both of us about the depth of the snow. (Such explicatives seemed to be a common occurence in the Adirondacks over the last few days as reported on "other" forums. )

The crossing of the brook was somewhat interesting as the water is not deep, but had not yet frozen over. There were definately a few "wet" spots where we misjudged piles of snow for rocks and sank down a little further than expected.

We reached the first vly and stopped for a short break and of course after taking a few photos and putting away the camera, an otter makes an appearance on the pond only to disappear before we can get the camera back out.

From the vly, we continued on for another quarter of a mile and crossed the brook for a second time and decided that we had reached our drop-dead time for this hike. Both my friend and I were a little disappointed that we did not make it to Peaked Mountain Pond as we figured much earlier on that with the time we had we wouldn't even begin to ascend Peaked Mountain.

After a short lunch by a much smaller vly, we turned and headed back out down a beautifully broken out trail. (the pleasures of backtracking!!!) and covered the same distance that took us 2.5 hours previously in close to an hour.

All in all, a tiring, but enjoyable experience...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4013.jpg (93.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4017.jpg (82.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4023.jpg (35.5 KB, 87 views)
woj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
idratherbehiking

Sorry you didnt make it to your goal....but stills beats the heck out of being at work .
idratherbehiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
woj

Much agreed. Wish I still lived closer to the Adirondacks so that I could get out more often.
woj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peaked mountain, snowshoeing, thirteenth lake, trip report