Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Winter access to Chimney Mountain/Old Farm Clearing trailheads in Siamese Ponds WA?

Are the Chimney Mountain and Old Farm Clearing trailheads maintained for winter accesss? How about the 13th lake trailhead? Thinking about doing an overnight in this area soon, and might make it a through hike with a friend.

Thanks in advance...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Bob K

?, yes and yes

I know that the road and a parking area with access to the Old Farm Clearing trail head, and the parking area at the N end of 13th lake are normally plowed. The former is a popular XC ski access point to several attractive destinations in the Siamese Ponds wilderness. The latter will get you to either the trail on the west side of the lake, or preferably hiking or skiing on the lake.

I don't know about the road into Chimney, but I'd guess it is.I look forward to seeing good info on this.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Alpine1

The road to Chimney Mtn TH is plowed year round as well as a place to park.
If I'm not mistaken snowmobiles also use this area? I have seen trailers parked at the lot! Old Farm TH has a summer and winter lot, they are very close together though. Have not been to either one during the winter though.
I'll be looking forward to your TR as that's another ski trip I'm interested in

If we get enough snow over the next couple of days I've been itching to ski from 13th Lk Th to 11th....

Has anyone been down the trail to Siamese Pd from 13th TH in the past couple months?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks for the information. If snowmobiles are using this area, they are doing so illegally, as it's wilderness (no motorized vehicle use of any kind allowed, included snowmobiles).

This isn't yet set in stone as our destination, but I'll try to remember to post a trip report (I've been pretty bad about posting them this year).
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Alpine1

The snowmobilers could have been staying at one of the cabins (not sure if they are rented in winter) and using the road to access there trail system some where else.

I might be able to help with a car spot for you if needed?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
The snowmobilers could have been staying at one of the cabins (not sure if they are rented in winter) and using the road to access there trail system some where else.

I might be able to help with a car spot for you if needed?
Thanks... I'll let you know if I end up needing one. Right now, there's two of us going, and we're coming from different directions so we'll both have our cars anyways.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Telemarkmike

I think my wife and I will be parking at the Old Farm Road trailhead tomorrow to xc ski the Botheration Pond loop.

I can report back tomorrow night.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
I think my wife and I will be parking at the Old Farm Road trailhead tomorrow to xc ski the Botheration Pond loop.

I can report back tomorrow night.
Cool. I'm definitely curious to hear how much snow there is. Probably will be on snowshoes, but I'm hoping to be able to pull a sled.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Cool. I'm definitely curious to hear how much snow there is. Probably will be on snowshoes, but I'm hoping to be able to pull a sled.
Yes, the trailhead is plowed. You can drive to the winter trailhead. The sumer trailhead is only about 300 yards beyond. The plow stopped at the winter trailhead.

Great xc skiing today. We were the first ones in. Someone had been in late yesterday. We skied to Botheration Pond and back. There is probably 12-14 inches of snow I would say. Maybe even a little more.

5 other cars there when we came out. The trails will be all broken in quickly. I'll have a short TR later today in the new ski forum section.

Good luck on your winter camping trip.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks. Sounds like it's probably deep enough to pull the sled. Good to know.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Another 5" there so far today...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Alpine1

Quote:
Telemarkmark and I attempted to X/C ski from O/F Th to 11Th mtn today
We made it about 4 miles (1/3 of the way?) and called it quits.
The snow is heavy, breaking trail with snow shoes will be a LOT of work any where in that neighborhood. Bring friends, lots
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
woj

Was just about to post a trip report on my attempt at Peaked Mountain from the 13th Lake Trailhead on Friday. Trailhead is nicely plowed out, but it took the better part of 2 hours for a friend and I to travel about 2 miles toward Peaked Mountain. It took close to an hour to make it the first .9 miles to where the trail splits off and begins up Peaked Mountain Brook.

Unfortunately, we had to turn back as we both had plans for later in the evening and turned around soon after passing the first vly.
woj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

2 friends and I went from King's Flow to the Old Farm trailhead this weekend, spending 1 night each at the Eastern Puffer Pond lean-to and at the Hour Pond lean-to. The ice is thin enough still that you can easily break through it to get water.

Proper trip report to come when I have a chance (probably not until later this week).