Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Viking

Nine Carries Route

Good evening,

I am planning to do the Nine Carries route this fall. This will be my first time up there and my primary goal is fishing/solitude.

I plan to head straight across Long and head up to Fish Pond where I intend to camp for 2 nites, and then head for St. Regis for a nite.

Portage around Mud? Bessie or Nellie worth the effort?

I had thought about heading back via Little Clear, but there is a part of me that wants to go out through Bear/Little Long/Green and fish/explore these ponds.

I am interested in opinions for the completion - would you add a nite and explore these ponds? (I could always spend another nite at Fish) Any general intel on these would be appreciated just in terms of solitude, overall thumbs up/down. cool features, which pond might have better sites. Not requesting anything you have spent years learning.

I could probably swing 5 nites if need be.

How would you do it?

Thank you in advance!

Viking
Viking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

It can be busy this time of year, but most people at Long Pond and St. Regis.

I think you'll want to go through Nellie because there isn't an easy portage trail around.

Mud pond is not bad and it takes quite a bit of carrying out actually.

It sucks because it's really boggy on the west end and you avoid that going up the esker to the south on the carry. The carry there is not all that well groomed, for lack of better terms, meaning it's kind of narrow with encroaching spruce. The rest of the portage trail is wider and more worn. There's a big hill on the east side of Mud you need to come up - you come up that first on the esker trail. Either way you go up.

5 nights would be plenty. You can get out to Fish in one, and back to St. Regis in another one day, you could do the whole deal pretty easily in three days two nights even adding in Little Long and Bear.

The ponds around Fish are really cool, and it's worth staying out there for a couple days but I don't know if they are the most productive for fish. You may have decent solitude there, or there may be another group. You don't need to stay on Fish Pond...

The southern site on Fish is kind of dank - it's north facing and shaded by the hill. The Lean-to on the north side is better, but more popular.

The whole area of eskers and kettle ponds between Nellie and Mud pond is my favorite feature of the area. In fact, even if you don't carry the esker around mud, go hike it, it gives you a pretty cool view down to Mud pond.

Bear and Little Long are really nice little ponds too, but often busy. I've rarely seen sites on them open - better off staying on St Regis and day tripping to them, then paddle through Little Clear to finish.

Most sites are pretty good, meaning they have a good spot to set a tent and a fire pit. Many of them have been moved back off the water, so take what you will there - at least you'll have a quieter spot.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Viking

Thank you moncalm - that is exactly what I was looking for!!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Glad I could help. Enjoy!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Actually, this'd be my itinerary if I wanted to explore all those ponds over 5 nights (6 days):

Day 1: Camp on Long Pond and carry over to Slang and Turtle - try fishing those maybe?

Day 2: Carry from Long to Nellie and Bessie, take a break and fish those, then carry out to Fish and set up camp in that area.

Day 3: Explore all the kettle ponds around Fish Pond.

Day 4: Carry back to Ochre through Mud, and fish both those ponds. Camp on Ochre if the site is open, if not, push to St. Regis.

Day 5: Carry to St. Regis if on Ochre and set up camp, go explore Bear and Little Long. Stay the night on St. Regis.

Day 6: Maybe check out Grass Pond? Carry out and through Little Clear.

I'd probably pay St Regis Outfitters to help me drop my car at Little Clear Parking lot and start at the outfitters (or up the road at the Long Pond parking lot) unless you have someone else with you to shuttle your car.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
Viking

montcalm,

You just outdid yourself!

The next part of my planning was to do exactly what you just did. This is now my itinerary.

Thank you very much - you added some elements I had not even thought of.

Viking
Old 07-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

No problem - I'm not a fisherman, so I can't speak to what ponds have fish. I know some are stocked, and I believe some have self-sufficient populations. DEC site may have more info there.

The only major body of water you'll miss to the east of Long Pond is Clamshell. I've never been there and it's a bit out of the way. You could definitely sneak it in there. I don't know if it's worth the side trip - if it is, you may not get an answer...

You could also hit Bone and Rat Pond on your way out, but I don't know much about them either. Never been on my radar due to proximity to the road.