Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
adkmountainken

memories on the stream.

its pretty neat how you grow in fly fishing as you do in life. when i was younger and just starting it was so frustrating learning the techniques and knots. i wanted to skip everything just to get on the water and catch 100 fish! i would fish down the creek like my ass was on fire hitting all the good runs and skipping the rest. i would not pay much attention to anything going on around me as i was intent on filling my creel. now when i fish most of the time i am just watching, feeling nature and taking it all in. i sit on the bank a lot and think of how much i have to be thankful for, how good my life really is. as for the fishing i fish slower then congress passing the budget. i work each small run, pool and hole with a lot of attention. i like to target nig fish or fish i have missed before and had outsmarted me. i look around and remember certain things at certain places on certain streams. i can see my Uncle Bill tying on a muddler and cathing a BIG brown trout right in front of me. i can see my buddy Herbie explaing to me about a different technique to catch shy fish and then hammering a BIG brook trout. i see myself as a youngster in amazement as i caught trout after trout out of the same hole! i see my mothers old Boston terrier Shacky hopping from rock to rock following me as i fished. so many memories i could go on and on. what once drove me crazy to learn now is a small piece of sanity. i fill my camera's memory card more then my creel now days and thats fine with me UNLESS i am fishing with my bro Jason who smokes what we catch and man does that taste good! i enjoy teaching new people how to fly fish and bringing them on my favorite streams. i also enjoy hiking waaaaay back in to the hard to get places where trout just seem to attack your flys and the scenery is just so incredible! it is just such a rewarding "sport" and i am so thankful to those who have helped me along the way. i have a list of local and distant streams/rivers i plan to fish but on any day if giving the choice the Caroga creek beckon's and i go running until i hit the waters and then life slows down.....

not all those who wander are lost!
adkmountainken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Stillhunter

Thanks for sharing...

It was nice to read your reflections on trout fishing. I think I'll wet a line this week on one of my favorite streams as a result.
Nice pictures in your second post as well.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote