Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
spiffae

First time on Lows Lake - a couple questions

Hi! This is my first post here.

Last weekend my fiancee and I did our first ever canoe camping trip on Bog River/Lows Lake - it was AMAZING and we will be back.

(A few photos I took here)

We left satisfied, bug-bitten, and with a couple questions.

For what it's worth we camped at Site 13 on Lows Lake (not where it's marked on the paddler's map!)

1. On both days we heard intermittent muffled explosions in sequence (repetitive series of heavy muffled thumps from about noon until sunset) and were wondering if anyone knew what that might be. I've heard artillery before and that was my best guess but I didn't know where the sound would be coming from.

2. Once the wind died down on Saturday night we were aware of a constant low hum - it sounded like a large generator or power station in the distance. As we paddled out on Sunday, it was loudest in the western sections of Lows Lake, before the piece of bog stuck in the narrow end. By the time we got to Hitchens pond we couldn't hear it. Is there something industrial around there? It wasn't terrible but I would say it detracted from our camping a little. I thought it might have something to do with the scout camp but it got louder as we got farther from the scout camp, and it was on 24 hours a day, which would be unusual for a camp generator.

Any ideas? Thanks!
spiffae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffae View Post
1. On both days we heard intermittent muffled explosions in sequence (repetitive series of heavy muffled thumps from about noon until sunset) and were wondering if anyone knew what that might be. I've heard artillery before and that was my best guess but I didn't know where the sound would be coming from.

Any ideas? Thanks!
I was in the same area last week and also heard the repetitive sounds, though not all afternoon. All I could think of was either something industrial, or some kind of skeet shooting distorted by echoes. There's lots of private land on both sides there, the Sabattis area to the south and a bunch of lakes & roads to the north. I'll be interested to see what some of the knowledgeable regulars say.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
spiffae

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
I was in the same area last week and also heard the repetitive sounds, though not all afternoon. All I could think of was either something industrial, or some kind of skeet shooting distorted by echoes. There's lots of private land on both sides there, the Sabattis area to the south and a bunch of lakes & roads to the north. I'll be interested to see what some of the knowledgeable regulars say.
I would say definitely something larger than skeet shooting. When the wind was blowing right, the we could feel the louder thumps in our chests like a deep thunder. I remember hearing it most in the afternoon-night maybe 4-8pm.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Woodspirit

Artillery from Ft Drum can be heard
Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffae View Post
2. Once the wind died down on Saturday night we were aware of a constant low hum - it sounded like a large generator or power station in the distance. As we paddled out on Sunday, it was loudest in the western sections of Lows Lake, before the piece of bog stuck in the narrow end. By the time we got to Hitchens pond we couldn't hear it. Is there something industrial around there? It wasn't terrible but I would say it detracted from our camping a little. I thought it might have something to do with the scout camp but it got louder as we got farther from the scout camp, and it was on 24 hours a day, which would be unusual for a camp generator.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Most likely you were hearing the scout camp generator(s). They are large diesel powered generators that switch over automatically and run 24 hours a day when camp is in session.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
spiffae

Well there you go! Thanks for the great information, folks.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Rich Lockwood

Noises

I have heard explosions from Drum on the upper Osswagochie not far from there. Also,when camping near Bog Lake a couple of years ago I could hear a Timberjack working to the southwest-they are run at a constant RPMs.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Grey-Jay

Heard the same at Lake Lila and Forked Lake

I've been told by others camping there

Booms-Ft. drum
Droning sounds- private land lumbering machinery

But I'll take those sounds over a jet-ski any day!
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Sounds like a nice, peaceful, quiet Adirondack camping trip....
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Rich Lockwood

Quietest place

The quietest place I paddle camped was up the Jordan. How about everyone else? I have also seen the motor boat from the cottage on Lows-it's still a great place!
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

The quietest place that I canoe camped was Cedar Lakes.
Low's was and still is a disappointment for me, fantastic scenery, but even without float planes gone, too many motors!!

Last edited by stripperguy; 07-31-2013 at 05:02 PM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Grey-Jay

Quietest

Quietest for me- East Canada Creek
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Wldrns

Pepperbox Pond, or Oven Lake and nearby ponds for quiet and remoteness from potential fellow campers. But when Fort Drum is active you can hear the booms from any of the adjacent areas.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
sparkdog

We were at Lows last week. At site 17 we could hear the boy scout generator almost constantly (why don't they enclose it?). It stopped in the morning but then the logging operation started. We canoed to site 21 to get away from the noise and found it to be much quieter. Also bushwacked up Grass Pond Mtn. Had a tough time finding where to get through the cliffs. Started near site 30 but there must be a better way. The "Discover" book was worthless.
sparkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
BareFootHiker

Anyone know when the scout activity (generator noise) starts to die off for the summer??

Sparkdog,
How were the bugs?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
... Also bushwacked up Grass Pond Mtn. Had a tough time finding where to get through the cliffs.
Look at a topo map. While there is no formal trail, the easiest route that most people take (which is turning into a herd path now) should be the most obvious if you can interpret terrain features.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFootHiker View Post
Anyone know when the scout activity (generator noise) starts to die off for the summer??
After the last week of resident camp, plus a couple of days for staff to button down the camp for the season. Find it on the Longhouse Council Camp Sabattis website.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Cricket

I'm just back from Lows myself, and didn't hear any of that stuff. There were some jets overhead, and we saw the scout supply "barge" once, but otherwise loved it there. It was Lila that I found cramped, although the parking lot at Lows lower dam was pretty crazy. The lake is big enough to not feel crowed, I thought.
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
cnyrider

busy....busy

I too just returned from Lows. I even talked my wife into going telling her it is so peaceful there with very little use. We even went in on Monday to miss the weekenders. I have been going there since the mid 80's and have never seen so many people at Low's. The portages were like parades of people mostly from outside NY state. Also listened to Fort Drum and the logger operation plus the very large group camped across from us. We moved sites further down the lake in order to find a little quiet. Still a nice paddle but will start to look for a more remote paddle to enjoy the quiet.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyrider View Post
Still a nice paddle but will start to look for a more remote paddle to enjoy the quiet.
Go to LaVerendrye or Algonquin if you want remote canoe trips.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote