Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
GeoffECook

Arrow GAIA GPS iPhone App for NPT

I was recently mapping my route using this app and just had over 1000 unique pay points lost after painstakingly hand placing them on the digital topo map.

Is there a way, for those who have used this app, for me to download the waypoints and use the app as I hike? I will of course be bringing the standard map and compass to navigate.

Another suitable option might be for anyone who has used a GPS or location beacon to send me the XML file?

Or any general thoughts would be appreciated.
GeoffECook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
UnoGear

Not aware of any XML files that are readily available. There are plenty of GPX files out there. Using some thing like GPS Visulizer you might be able to convert it to an XML file.
UnoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
GeoffECook

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoGear View Post
Not aware of any XML files that are readily available. There are plenty of GPX files out there. Using some thing like GPS Visulizer you might be able to convert it to an XML file.
I'm having trouble finding ANY GPX files that cover the NPT. Anyone have any that they would like to email? pm me if so, and otherwise anyone with intimate knowledge of Gaia GPS, I'd love your help.
GeoffECook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
TCD

Remember that the trail is periodically relocated (like the big relos at the south end and at cedar river) and also rerouted around blowdowns, beaver swamps, etc. Some of the reroutes are poorly marked, also. So expect the unexpected, and be ready to trust your eyes over your GPS...have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
UnoGear

E-Mail on the way..
UnoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
rdl

After you've completed your trip let me know how the battery on the iPhone handled the navigation, or if you have/discovered any tricks on extending battery life.

I have a 4S and my last attempt at using GAIA gave me about 3 hours before the phone completely shut down on a hike in the Santanoni area.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote