Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
dpc34

Oswegatchie

Has anyone been up the " O" from Inlet lately, Also how is the Packbasket B&B for a place to stay for dinner and Breakfast. May go up Labor day. Thanks... dave
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
rdl

I rented canoes from Packbasket and took a tour but didn't stay there. Looked like a nice, clean place. Can't provide any info beyond that though.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
nutmeg creeker

I rented a canoe from them last week. The place is quiet and secluded, and looks very sedate. Email the owners and ask about meals--it never occurred to me that they had food, but if you're looking to get away from the excitement, that's the place. The owners are friendly and accommodating.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Dr Dean

Eating and hikes in the area

Last time in the area, we went in Dead Creek Flow last Columbus Day, stayed at the leanto and climbed Cat Mtn. Exploring the area, we headed N on Tooley Pond Rd out of Cranberry Lake and Ate at the Windfall Bar and grill for lunch near Cooks Corners. If you head on farther N, you come to a series of water falls that are short hikes in to the Grass River and very scenic. The Oswegatchie heads N out of Cranberry, but turns West, while the Grass comes in from the South East and heads South South West. There was a pamphlet on the several falls at the Windfall entrance vestibule.

It's always fun to expand the range and find new places to eat, stay, hike, paddle and enjoy.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Rich Lockwood

Nice

My wife and I stayed there last year after a wilderness trip last year and will be staying there again this year.nice place and I really like Wannakena in off season. I came down the Oss early this summer and it was fine and beautiful as usual.
"The only to keep something is to give it away"
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
mwanner
ViewAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Has anyone been up the " O" from Inlet lately, Also how is the Packbasket B&B for a place to stay for dinner and Breakfast. May go up Labor day. Thanks... dave
As to the river itself, with all the rain this summer, the current is pretty fast. There are two beaver dams that are a bit of a challenge to get over going upstream, the first about 0.7 miles up from Inlet, the second just after site 34. Also, the rapids were fairly challenging to get up-- the ones under the bridge weren't too bad, but the one with the right-hand turn in the middle near site 22 was tough to get up and also tricky coming down-river-- its easy to get pinned on the rocks there.

This is all based on a trip 10 days ago. Of course there's been no rain since then-- I don't know how fast the river levels drop-- you may find the going a lot easier.

Enjoy the nice weather! Looks like Sunday and Monday will be beautiful!

The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin

Last edited by mwanner; 08-29-2008 at 08:47 AM..
mwanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
dpc34

dpc 34

Thanks everyone, Was also wondering is there a way to drive to Lows lake without going from the dam on the Bog. The last I remember it was a no no. For you paddlers going below the dam I at one time had a camp between the two falls (Pa). The grave stones there are members or our camp.... dave
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Bill I.

Quote:
Thanks everyone, Was also wondering is there a way to drive to Lows lake without going from the dam on the Bog. The last I remember it was a no no.
The only direct public motor vehicle access to the Bog River Flow is at the Lower Dam. Of the two roads leading to the Upper Dam, one is only open for hiking and biking, and the other is a private ROW that is closed entirely to the public.

Quote:
For you paddlers going below the dam I at one time had a camp between the two falls (Pa). The grave stones there are members or our camp.... dave
Members? My understanding was that the stones memorialized one person, Hebe Costello. That spot is beautiful. I hiked there twice last year, including one overnight at the old cabin site by the bridge.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
dpc34

grave stones

There are two stones that represent a father and son Costello, the third is a is a different person. all from the Hudson falls area. dave
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
dpc34

fishing

The fishing below Pa falls is great in May, for about 10 days if you catch it just right. 100 fish day once. We use to have to walk over the Mtn from Horseshoe lake road befor IP put the rd in. Hard to believe 18 wheelers use to go by our door.....dave
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Thanks everyone, Was also wondering is there a way to drive to Lows lake without going from the dam on the Bog. The last I remember it was a no no.
Except if you are directly connected with the Boy Scouts, then you can drive all the way to Camp Sabattis. Of course to get permission to drive in you have to be on a registered Scout trip with a few boys in tow...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
dpc34

Wildrns, you should see the new 23 ft boat that Hornbeck is making. dave
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
yellowcanoe

Quote:

Well THAT would be interesting on the Oswegatchie!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Really?? Is it meant to be a 4+man canoe? Could be interesting on the 90 Miler or better yet the Yukon! I'll have to seriously talk to Pete if this is the case.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
nutmeg creeker

Concerning River levels: We put in on Tuesday 8/19, after a night of hard steady rain. The current was strong and the "S curve rapids" referred to were a real job negotiating on the upriver trip. We arrived at the lower High Falls lean to Wed PM about 3 and left Fri about 10:30 AM. Based on the wet spots on the rocks which I checked out 3 or 4 times and the fact that mud appeared at what was underwater at our arrival, I'd estimate that there was about a one foot drop in about 40 hours. Also, on the downriver trip, we had to negotiate between rocks which we didn't even pay attention to on Tuesday. It was a great 4 days in all respects, but a little bit buggier than you'd expect for late August.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
decemberfan

Packbasket Adventures

Quote:

Packbasket Adventures, yes! I'd like to keep this place a secret, but it deserves to make it.

My wife and I stayed at Packbasket last fall. We loved it. Just check that a large group isn't going to be sharing the place. Yes, clean and quiet. Great people, great food (I'm a picky eater, and owners bent over backwards to accommodate me).

A great location for canoeing and hiking in the western part of the ADK's.
decemberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #17
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

We're planning on starting at Wanakena and heading towards the Falls this weekend. We've got overnight and would be a first canoe weekend. How is this paddle? Easy? Tough currents? Blowdown or obstacles? Keeping course? Also, how are the water levels?
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
fvrwld

We hope to paddle the Oswegatchie this weekend. We're planning on putting in at Inlet and paddling to a campsite then continuing up to High Falls the next day and back to the campsite. I'm somewhat concerned about the shallow rocky rapids as I will not be able to walk in the river over rocks (recovering from a broken ankle). If this area is not naviagable is there a path along the shore to take? Is there anyone who has been on the river recently and can give a report?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
yellowcanoe

My memory must be failing. I can't remember any rocks at all...except at High Falls.. Just a bunch of beaver dams.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
My memory must be failing. I can't remember any rocks at all...except at High Falls.. Just a bunch of beaver dams.
The area around Griffin Rapids can be shallow and riffly over a gravel bottom, might require some temporary extra power to go upstream in high water or with shallow paddle strokes in low water, but is not normally too much problem. There is an occasional boulder here and there in deep water. But nowhere are there anything like cobblestones you would have to walk on.