Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
wildbrookies

A few today.

Well, I finally wet the flyline, I thought an early start would be better since I had to get to work at 1pm. So, I fished as the sun rose over the trees. Water felt cool. Yup!,forgot the dam thermometer ,but ,now ,I remember that ol` leak in my waders I never patched over the winter!!!!,and what else? No Fiddleheads?? They are not even thinking about knuckling up yet. Felt like a fish less day (since Fiddleheads were always my true sign ),but as I pondered a bit I thought a tug or bite or pull from a trout would be a nice way to start the year . I`ve been wanting to fish this new section since finishing up there late last season. After a ton of casts as my rhythm retained itself from last year, and my watch stated I was doing this for a long time , I was actually enjoying the surroundings again and I`m sure my pulse was like minute. I watched an Osprey fly overhead ,rather close, maybe a sign .You know what? .Who cares,fish or not, I`m still breathing and flyfishing,right? Well, things got better, as the water started to get warmer. Amazing stuff started to magically happen!! Lost a big tug, besides then things got interesting ,hooked and caught a few ,then early released a few, and others I simply could`nt photograph as the camera man spassed out as did the crazy healthy trout as I told them to look into the camera ,LOL!! Anyway, captured a few big holdover bows. Thank the Trout Gods !!, that these big beautiful bows survived this really wicked tough winter. These beautiful trout will always deserve all my credit and dedication! I had an extremely nice feeling as I left this river and headed back to the "other" world...

"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 05-01-2015 at 11:36 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
serotonin
ember

Gotta love it when good things happen to good people.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #3
Prometheus
Adrift

Where's the like button.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Thanks Sero, sucked really bad to leave the river today, how have you been doing out your way?
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
serotonin
ember

I gotta a little smile on my face; put there by a fine Steelhead this morning.
Thanks for asking.

A number of new stories, adventures, and a few photos from this early season,
but I'll never get to share half of them here.

Gotta fish again tomorrow. (Different water/different species, with a chance of surface action).
Hopefully Sunday and Monday too.
I will post something sensible when I can.
Maybe best to let it digest a little first...
A little overwhelming in a good way.

You are off to a nice start yourself and I love your attitude.

Last edited by serotonin; 05-02-2015 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Different water/different species
Old 05-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
wildbrookies

Nice that you landed a steelie!!
I always thought you really have your stuff together, absolutely love your itinerary!!. Yup, gonna really try to get out more and get into these fish brains heads more this year( I have a few new killer patterns ). I know ,you do a better a job at this as does VT,Glen, but I`ll try this year more so. Thanks again big guy, for your generous reply, I totally had an incredibly heavenly unexpected experience today!! And I wish the same success on you(VT,Glen) in your adventures pursuing these amazing fish!!!.

Good luck to you all!!!

WB

Last edited by wildbrookies; 05-02-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Wow, are those nice fish! I'm really glad you had an auspicious start to the season. So now I'm dying to know if any of those big boys surrendered to a Breadcrust...
Old 05-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
wildbrookies

Most of the trout (5) hit the black peacock woolly bugger and the big fat bow in the last photo fell to an Ausable Ugly(Rich Garfields pattern that I replicated from him) and one smaller bow was caught on my Breadcrust. Thanks for asking!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Most of the trout (5) hit the black peacock woolly bugger and the big fat bow in the last photo fell to an Ausable Ugly(Rich Garfields pattern that I replicated from him) and one smaller bow was caught on my Breadcrust. Thanks for asking!
That peacock bugger of yours is an absolute winner!!! Even better than the Buffy special...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
mar71

Now thats a gorgeous fish, thanks for sharing.
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Yeah, it seems to drive big trout crazy. Its like they think they better grab it or lose it. Still want to fish the fly by Rich Garfield ,the Ausable Ugly more . Seems very buggy and can resemble anything from small crayfish to baitfish. And of course will be using the Breadcrust as a dropper.

mar71, those photos are of 3 separate trout. Had a nice day ,all fish were fat ,big and healthy.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
gmorin71

great fish!

you'll love the ugly. it became my go to fly last fall when i started using it. i've never hooked a rainbow with it so that is exciting, when i get out to my eastern ny streams i'll definitely be using it.
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #13
serotonin
ember

I was on a pond recently using one of Wb's buggers. I think it was from last years swap. It had a very long sinuous tail with sick movement in the water, but I was hesitant to tie a trailer off the bend for fear of fouling.

Sure enough, it gets violently slammed... and then nothing. Pretty sure it grabbed the tail. Losing too many Bismarcks who hit the tail, and unable to find buggers with stinger hooks is what forced me over the edge into fly tying. Now I have to copy Wb's variation and add a stinger. But Wb doesn't seem to need it.

The Ugly is also a great fly.

Good luck out there guys.