Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Third Time's a Charm

Today's my birthday. 63. Still in good shape but it's an age where you wonder how many more pond seasons you have in you. So of course I took the day off and went fishing.

I hiked in to a pond UpstateDave and I fished recently. It just seemed the sort of place that could have treated us better. The day was perfect, the kind where people at work will scratch their heads wondering why I took this of all days off.

The pond was still and fogged in, rain stopped falling just as I got there. I tied on a purple leech and a small nymph as a dropper. It only took three casts to bring a solid, feisty 13" fish to the net.

I fished around the shelves bordering a deep hole and had steady action for hours. All the fish were pretty and chunky, 15" or so but not the brookies I was looking for.

Using shameless skullduggery I located another hole. This was late in the day, near quitting time. A big fish rose near the edge, leaving a toilet flush ring. A quick few strokes with the fins put me in casting range. Strip, strip, WHAM! This one had some moxie, could strip off line at will and horse me around. The hook pulled free. Several casts later his brother did the same thing.

The phone rang. It was Glen. First call ever answered in a float tube. "Clip off the second fly, Grasshopper", he instructed. I did. Several casts later and a real beauty was in the net. This will bloat Glen's ego to the point he won't be able to get in his front door.

Really quitting time, I'd promised to be home for dinner. Another solid take and we're off to the races again. Another good fish in the net.

Time to pack up and leave, just as it was gettin' good. Ah, well. There will be others and now I know a few more secrets about this pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.jpg (104.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg M2.jpg (132.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg M3.jpg (111.3 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg M4.jpg (113.7 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg M5.jpg (98.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg M6.jpg (131.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Edb 46 er

Happy Birthday! Wishing you many more pond seasons.

That pond looks somewhat familiar? But I know your not giving away any secret holes.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
wildbrookies

Hey Happy Birthday VT!! Glad you spent it the best way any flyfisher would love to. Excellant action all day!! Guess you can`t complain, the weather cooperated and so did the char. But, why do you guys always start out catching fish that to me would be trophies and they always seem to start getting bigger and bigger as the day goes on!! Tough breaking bruisers off right at the take out time and then Glen saved the day with his last minute phone call ,w/out his advice you may just had gone home wishing you could have seen one of those bruisers. Congratulations on "your" complete day!!

WB

ps.. Hopefully you finalized the day with a Single Malt Scotch Whiskey tumbler or two!! And reminisced about the days events! Hope you have many more outings in the future!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
mar71

Happy Birthday VT. Once again beautiful brookies. I could not think of a better way to spend a B-Day.

Last edited by mar71; 05-02-2014 at 06:29 AM..
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
serotonin
ember

Wonderful story. Wonderful fish.
Happy Birthday vt.

Seems like... as those fish grow bigger, you grow younger.
It's obvious, you are fishing in the fountain of youth.

i guess Ponce de Leon didn't have a purple leech.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
geogymn

Great story! Great fish! Take more days off!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Stillhunter

Thank you for sharing your Birthday outing. Great fish. Happy Birthday.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Today's my birthday. 63. Still in good shape but it's an age where you wonder how many more pond seasons you have in you. So of course I took the day off and went fishing.

I hiked in to a pond UpstateDave and I fished recently. It just seemed the sort of place that could have treated us better. The day was perfect, the kind where people at work will scratch their heads wondering why I took this of all days off.

The pond was still and fogged in, rain stopped falling just as I got there. I tied on a purple leech and a small nymph as a dropper. It only took three casts to bring a solid, feisty 13" fish to the net.

I fished around the shelves bordering a deep hole and had steady action for hours. All the fish were pretty and chunky, 15" or so but not the brookies I was looking for.

Using shameless skullduggery I located another hole. This was late in the day, near quitting time. A big fish rose near the edge, leaving a toilet flush ring. A quick few strokes with the fins put me in casting range. Strip, strip, WHAM! This one had some moxie, could strip off line at will and horse me around. The hook pulled free. Several casts later his brother did the same thing.

The phone rang. It was Glen. First call ever answered in a float tube. "Clip off the second fly, Grasshopper", he instructed. I did. Several casts later and a real beauty was in the net. This will bloat Glen's ego to the point he won't be able to get in his front door.

Really quitting time, I'd promised to be home for dinner. Another solid take and we're off to the races again. Another good fish in the net.

Time to pack up and leave, just as it was gettin' good. Ah, well. There will be others and now I know a few more secrets about this pond.

Grasshopper.....you have taken the first step to enlightenment.

Happy Birthday Bro. Can't wait to wet a line. Hawks Vittles on the way!
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
BleeckerMtn

nicely done VT. happy birthday!
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
UpstateDave0104

Happy Birthday VTFF. From what I have seen you still have many more years of pond fishing in you. Then after that you can have the boys carry the heavy weight for you.

I'm glad that pond turned on. Lots of potential there.

I took my RV down to the Delaware today - so it will be the week after next before I get back to the Brookie ponds. Hendricksons were showing a bit this afternoon, but the fish did not respond. Water temp is still 47 degrees. The saving factor was that I caught a nice 17" brown on my first cast of the season!! The bad news is that it was my only cast of the day!! Hopefully tomorrow and the rest of the week will be much better.

Keep the good reports coming.
UpstateDave0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Rusty and the Maniac

Thats a good birthday right there!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Zachnaturephotographer

Beautiful fish
Zachnaturephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote