Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

aquabound vs bending branches

Quick! EMS club days end today... I'm in desparate need of a new much lighter kayaking paddle. I have a paddle that is about 2 lbs 8 oz and was killing my shoulders last summer. I am deciding between the aquabound all carbon sting ray (not available through EMS) and the bending branches breeze evening ($204 after EMS discount) - both are 29 oz. (1lb 13oz) but pretty different blade types. I am a low angle flatwater paddler in a fairly wide boat, usually with toddler in tow. Any recommendations? Will this much of a weight difference be enough or do I need to save my pennies for a Werner?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
paddlewheel

I use an aquabound sting ray all carbon when I'm paddling my kayak. I've had it for about three years and have been pretty happy with it. I've got a perception touring kayak (14.5) weighs about 48 lbs. & I go about 195. I don't know much about bending branches. Werners are are beautiful paddles but a little too pricey for me...The aquabound should get the job done unless you're looking to marathon it. I've seen them in all the EMS's in the capital district. I got mine at the Boathouse in Schenectady.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
bluequill

Food for Thought.......

I saw your statement about your shoulders having pain during paddling. I switched to a Greenland style paddle a couple of years ago and have not turned back. I have shoulder problems and I can now paddle all day without any discomfort. Many people with similar shoulder problems have witnessed the same results by switching to the Greenland. I actually just sold my Werner Kalliste paddle since I no longer use it and this paddle was very, very light...the lightest they make and costs $465. So lighter may not be the answer for your shoulder discomfort.

The Greenland "moves" less water than a euro blade but this is really only noticable during acceleration. When you are up to cruising speed there is not much difference. So if you are not in need of immediate acceleration as in whitewater or surfing it is not of any great concern. The Greenland also performs well in wind due to it's low profile and feathering is not needed.

I made my first Greenland out of cedar 2x4 stock for less than $20 and are easy to make or they can be purchased for around $200. I just saw a website that has some very nice carbon paddles but the price is almost double that.

Not only do they perform well......they look pretty cool too!

http://www.tuktupaddles.com/instocklist.htm

http://novorca.com/

Happy paddling!

Last edited by bluequill; 04-18-2009 at 08:37 PM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

The Greenland sounds great! I want to make my own (well maybe with the use of my dad's awesome woodshop) - where could I find plans/specs to do so?

I did buy the aquabound and it feels light enough out of the water, but other factors may be at work so I'd love to also try the Greenland - and really like the idea of making it myself! Any pointers are appreciated!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Hobbitling
spring fever

A friend of mine made one.
According to his Blog he used these sites as a reference.

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf
http://www.seacanoe.org/grnpadle.htm
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buil...andPaddle.html
Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
bluequill

Hobbitling has a couple of good resources, thanks! Here is another..http://www.carvegp.com/

This video is pretty good too. Even if you never carve or paddle with a Greenland, it is kind of cool to know where our kayaking tradition evolved from.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

Great resources! Thnx!