Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

First High Peak that is not Cascade/Porter?

Hi all,

My 10 year old wants to hike a high peak before summer starts. We have the cousins come up in July and plan to do the Cascade & Porter hike then. This will be my child's first high peak though we do quite a bit of hiking and while I don't think she will have a problem, it is a different ball game and I want her to like it. I had come up with some possible candidates and wondered if any of you had some thoughts/recommendations/additions: Giant, Wright, Big Slide, or Phelps. Of these (or any that you might recommend over these) which offers a solid bang for the buck in terms of interesting walking and rest spots along the way, not too long, rewarding views....

With this hike, she wants to begin her path to becoming a 46er (over the next few years) and I know we don't want to do all the easy ones first. If anyone has a recommended order to do them I'd be interested in any guidance. We (her parents) are more hike-to-water-people and far from the madding crowd people though we have done Dix and Haystack. So this is not our area of expertise and I knew immediately who to ask!

Thank you all for any thoughts, recommendations, ideas!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
rdl

Lots of options:

Wright/Phelps/Giant are good choices, as is Big Slide. Big Slide via the Brothers is a cool hike, I think Big Slide via JBL is a little nondescript compared to the others.

Colvin is a fun hike, via Indian Head/Fish Hawk Cliffs adds some nice views on the way.

Lower Wolf Jaw is a nice hike, decent views and sometimes gives the impression as being a little more remote. Nice to hike via the Southside Trail in the summer.

Quote:
If anyone has a recommended order to do them I'd be interested in any guidance
I found much advance planning was a little pointless, as our destination was often impacted by things out of our control(specifically the weather). My kids started hiking in the High Peaks when they were pretty young, and if we had a full day window of decent weather than we'd plan a longer hike(Dixes, Great Range). If we had a half day of decent weather then we'd plan a shorter hike(Phelps/Wright).
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Bark Eater Too

I recommend Giant. Lots of diversions along the way to keep an youngster engaged. If it is the weekend start early to get a parking spot.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

Thanks! Really appreciate the recommendations!