Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

Jessup River Question

Hi all - My folks just got brand new Hornbecks and are staying at Lewey Lake this weekend (now). They have done the Miami and Lewey and we are headed up tomorrow. We were thinking about paddling the Jessup with them Sunday. But the question is which way to go. We can't do the long haul all the way back around to Lewey due to time constraints AND we are trying to decide if we should bring the kayaks (no dog) or the canoe (dog can go and would be happy!). Does anyone have info on water levels now, beaver activity to the west and if we did go to the west are there spots to get out and picnic? Would love to go towards Indian Lake and do the Dug but not sure about the stretch of rapids/how far we'd need to carry... could we line our canoe or must carry? Any info so greatly appreciated as always!!!

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Ms child,

MDB and I have paddled most sections of the Jessup that can be...nearly all of the accessible stuff holds enough water to paddle all season long, except for the rock garden just above Dug Mountain Brook/Falls. There are shallows and a rock garden for about 1/2 mile above Dug Mt Brook, paddle as far as you can and stash the boats. There's a path along the river edge leading to the falls.
There was only one beaver dam in that section in 2010 (last time we paddled it) and a large limbo log, easy if the water is low, tricky if the water is high.

We also paddled all the way from Jessup River Rd to Rt 30. The section above Whitaker Lake outlet is rarely paddled, and it is really a gem! But, there are numerous beaver dams, varying in size from a couple of inches to a couple of feet. There is also a large log jam, tricky to traverse...this is what keeps most folks from doing the entire Jessup Rd to Rt 30 section.
I think that section was about a 4 hour day trip, with a car spotted at the Rt 30 crossing.

We also paddled about a mile and a half above the Jessup River bridge, stopping at a series of ledges and small falls...that's where I took that photo that's in this years calendar.

Here's a few photos, in order of the way I described, and you can fumble through my Picasa link to see many, many more.
If you have more questions yet, just ask...

For your convenience, I have links to the three sections

Rt 30 to Dug Mt Brook

Jessup Rd to Rt 30

Upper upper Jessup

BTW, our favorite part was the section from Jessup River Rd to Rt 30, beautiful and nearly untouched, enough beaver dams and deadfalls to keep us interested, and short enough to not get worn out!
stripperguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Adk Keith
Telemarker

I can't comment on current conditions (but water levels are generally low right now) If you go west there are plenty of obstacles along the way, but you can go well past sled harbor. Limbo skills to sneak under trees as well as balancing skills to get over dams and trees will also be necessary at times as well.

There are plenty of spots for picnics after you get a ways in.

The weather doesn't get any better than this.

Hopefully someone else will comment on heading to Indian Lake. (there are some good descriptions here you can find with a search)

Enjoy!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
nutmeg creeker

The Jessup is one of the most interesting streams and it's easily accessible. I've gone halfway from route 30 up to the bridge referenced by Stripperguy and have paddled from route 30 all of the way down Indian Lake until the turn to the Lewey Lake campground, where our car was spotted. The "rock garden" just above Dug Mt. brook we were able to run, but that was an exceptional condition: Columbus Day weekend in 2010 was bright, sunny, and chilly, coming after a couple of days of very heavy rain. Water levels were very high. The most engaging stretch ends at this point. From there north, the river leads into the east "leg" of Indian Lake and the paddle becomes more of a continuous slog. For me, this becomes a bit boring, but there are vistas down the lake which allow you to sight some of the higher peaks. I probably wouldn't do that stretch again, but the rest of the Jessup, in both directions from Route 30, is a delight and little appreciated. I'm adding one pic taken on the lake section. Stripperguy's pics are, as always, great at conveying the full story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2643.jpg (90.2 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by nutmeg creeker; 09-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: add word
nutmeg creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
darnedsox

From Rt 30 to Indian Lake there is 4 beaver dams. None can be paddled over at this level in tissue paper boats. No other obstructions that can't be easily paddled under or around. With a little scouting, the dams are easily conquered.