Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #21
fvrwld

Thanks

How many beaver dams should me expect to encounter? Any log jams?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
Thanks

How many beaver dams should me expect to encounter? Any log jams?
Don't know about this year... in years past not too many below High Falls, though there were a couple of very nasty log jams - one in particular was waiting to break a leg with multiply spaced logs in deep water. Worse, someone actually drowned there. Above High Falls there can be more beaver dams than you want to count (literally dozens).

Last edited by Wldrns; 06-02-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
JTCelica

I had planned on doing this trip towards the end of June, any idea how the fishing is below high falls?

Jon
JTCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The area around Griffin Rapids can be shallow and riffly over a gravel bottom, might require some temporary extra power to go upstream in high water or with shallow paddle strokes in low water, but is not normally too much problem. There is an occasional boulder here and there in deep water. But nowhere are there anything like cobblestones you would have to walk on.
I camped at Griffin and never found anything of consequence..the water lever may have been higher.. I always chuckled at the term "rapid" as applied there.

Beaver dam count is variable. Its been a few years since I did this river but we did a two day trip to High Falls.

The first had 12 beaver dams to cross. Next day there were 13. So that situation can change quickly.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
WllrPnd

We paddled from Inlet to Highfalls on May 15-17. We only encountered one beaver dam which was between inlet and High Rock. We were able to paddle right over it (upstream and down) without much trouble. We encountered no log jams. Clean sailing the rest of the way. The water may be lower now, but we did not even notice any areas/dams that would give you trouble in lower water. It's been 3 weeks so things may have changed but I would not expect too drastically.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Wow, have fun!
The streams are running high after 4 inches of rain last week.
The BFs are out,you knew that!
Watch out for all of the trail crews as it is National Trail Days at CL!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
wildchild
Ecologist Mom

We are heading to the Packbasket in late June - should we plan on major bugs still? We have headnets but I'm wondering about additional precautions as we have never paddled the O. Other places we frequent should be getting pretty tolerable by then but I've heard the O is another story :-)
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
We are heading to the Packbasket in late June - should we plan on major bugs still? We have headnets but I'm wondering about additional precautions as we have never paddled the O. Other places we frequent should be getting pretty tolerable by then but I've heard the O is another story :-)
Black flies may be winding down, but don't count on it until after the first week of July. They are highly weather dependent on when they exit the scene. On the other hand, plan on plenty of deer flies, especially if the weather turns hot by then.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
adk365

Just off the river (came in from Low's carry took out at Inlet). It was a perfect trip. Saw a large bear just below the low's take out/beginning of the carry. Once on the Osw ...loads of beaver activity above high falls. I camped a couple of miles below the end of the carry on the osw, and was extremely thankful that i had bug gear on...black flies would have eaten me up pretty good. On the river the wind and movement kept them away. For the next couple of weeks I highly recommend mesh gear just in case (especially for those moments you are stopped/camping.)

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."