Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

State Purchases More Finch Pryun Lands

A topic worthy of it's own thread:
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2014/03/state-announces-purchase-former-finch-lands.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Pasted from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I see a reference to Buell Valley on the map. Anyone familiar with the area and what it offers to the general public in a recreational way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
It refers to a tiny inholding east of Cedar River Flow. It will not enhance existing public access, but will result in the closure of a private motor vehicle road within the West Canada Lake Wilderness.

This is how the parcel is described in the SLMP:

Quote:
BUELL BROOK [PRIMITIVE AREA]

This area is in the Town of Indian Lake,
Hamilton County north of Buell Mountain.
The Finch Pruyn Company donated
approximately 10,000 acres, creating the
original Primitive Area. One small parcel in
the center of the area, with it’s access road
extending from the north, was exempted
from the donation. In 1994, 9,925 acres were
reclassified as Wilderness, reconfiguring the
area as an access corridor to the inholding.
The remaining land and road are scheduled
to become State lands and should be added
to the West Canada Lakes Wilderness when
that occurs.

This area does not yet have an adopted
Unit Management Plan.

Buell Brook Statistics:
State Lands 14 Acres
Non-conforming Uses:
Roads (private) 3.5 Miles
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

What's a "Hyslop"?
I've never heard that term before, and can't seem to find a defintion.
Is that in reference to someone's name?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
wxwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What's a "Hyslop"?
I've never heard that term before, and can't seem to find a defintion.
Is that in reference to someone's name?
I have no idea... I've been Googling around, and so far have only found this, relating to an alternate spelling (Hislop):

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The name itself belongs to the class of topographic surnames, which were given to people who resided near physical features such as hills, streams, churches or types of trees. The surname Hislop is derived from the Old English word haesel and the Old Norse word helsi, which both mean hazel, and from the Old English word hop which refers to a valley or hollow between two hills.
But cool news, though! It's good to see more land being preserved.
wxwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Wxwing.
Agreed.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Bill I.

Hyslop is not a word, it's a surname, which is why there is no good definition for it.

There is a Hyslop Pond and Hyslop Brook near Newcomb, on former Finch Pruyn lands near the intersection of Blue Ridge Road. Somebody came up with a bunch of cutesy names for the various pieces of the FP lands, and "Hudson River Hyslop" was apparently the name for the parcels in Newcomb, from the Hudson River to Hyslop Pond.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Bill.
For a minute there I thought perhaps it was just a local term for a high, sloppy, wetland area.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I'm studying those Nature Conservancy maps and can't quite figure out the Hyslop purchase.
Does anyone know if these parcels include the Newcomb River and it's confluence with the Hudson?
Or is there a better map somewhere?
From the looks of it, the Hyslop parcel doesn't even include its namesake pond or brook.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I'm studying those Nature Conservancy maps and can't quite figure out the Hyslop purchase.
Does anyone know if these parcels include the Newcomb River and it's confluence with the Hudson?
Or is there a better map somewhere?
From the looks of it, the Hyslop parcel doesn't even include its namesake pond or brook.
This map is the best there is at the moment:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/wp...finchmaplg.jpg

The parcel extends from Campsite Road to the Newcomb River, and might make it easier to route that proposed trail to Lower Duck Hole. It abuts existing state land, but doesn't seem to contain any interesting features of its own.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
wxwing

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Benson Road land. At first, I thought the land dispute for Cathead Mountain had FINALLY been solved, but alas, no, this new land is south of Benson Road, rather than north of it. Grrr.

Speaking of Cathead Mountain, does anyone actually know which parts of the mountain are off-limits to the public? AKA, can one simply bushwhack their way to the top? Or are all sides of the mountain private property now?
wxwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwing View Post
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Benson Road land. At first, I thought the land dispute for Cathead Mountain had FINALLY been solved, but alas, no, this new land is south of Benson Road, rather than north of it. Grrr.

Speaking of Cathead Mountain, does anyone actually know which parts of the mountain are off-limits to the public? AKA, can one simply bushwhack their way to the top? Or are all sides of the mountain private property now?
Cathead Mountain is owned by an independent club based in the Schenectady area, with no ties to Finch Pruyn that I know of. The club owns the summit where the tower stands, so even though there are legal ways to bushwhack up the flanks of the mountain, the fire tower stands on private property.

Southerland Mountain is my pick for best alternative to Cathead.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Bill,
I did just find a better res version of that map.
It's right here

it clearly shows the sections of the Newcomb River and the confluence with the Hudson. Pretty sure that section is not for open canoes...

Also, I'm pretty excited to see what opportunities there are wrt the MacIntyre tracts.

Wait, there's more...I just noticed that the linked map shows the proposed route of a new trail to Newcomb Lake, looks like it nearly follows my bushwhack route from the campsite!!
That new trail could make the Newcomb River to Newcomb Lake trip plausible for the avid paddler, instead of just the fanatics...

Last edited by stripperguy; 03-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: new trail info
Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Bill I.

Quote:
Bill,
Wait, there's more...I just noticed that the linked map shows the proposed route of a new trail to Newcomb Lake, looks like it nearly follows my bushwhack route from the campsite!!
That new trail could make the Newcomb River to Newcomb Lake trip plausible for the avid paddler, instead of just the fanatics...
That trail was proposed in the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest UMP several years ago.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

I would think the Good Luck Tract will further enhance the possibilities along the existing network of trails within the newly designated Hudson Gorge Wilderness...
Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
That trail was proposed in the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest UMP several years ago.
Bill,

I'm looking at that UMP even now...the proposed trail in that plan shows a route due north from mid campground and intersection the Santanoni road near Upper Duck Hole.
Clearly, that trail was never built. The discussion of a future lean to on Wolf Pond also did not happen. Curiously, the proposed lean to on Cheney certainly did occur. How is it some of these things come to be and others fade away or are abandoned?

Looking again at the NC map, the latest version has a trail crisscrossing the Newcomb River, initially heading due E.
For me at least, the addition of the Hyslop tract could be quite beneficial, others may not agree...
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
Bill I.

Quote:
Bill,

I'm looking at that UMP even now...the proposed trail in that plan shows a route due north from mid campground and intersection the Santanoni road near Upper Duck Hole.
Clearly, that trail was never built. The discussion of a future lean to on Wolf Pond also did not happen. Curiously, the proposed lean to on Cheney certainly did occur. How is it some of these things come to be and others fade away or are abandoned?

Looking again at the NC map, the latest version has a trail crisscrossing the Newcomb River, initially heading due E.
For me at least, the addition of the Hyslop tract could be quite beneficial, others may not agree...
The UMPs are filled with proposed trails and lean-tos that have never been built. Yesterday I hiked a snowmobile trail in the Ferris Lake WF that was proposed to become a designated ski trail... in a draft UMP from 2006 that was never completed.

As for the route in the UMP versus the MacIntyre map, they are just lines and doodles until a trail crew goes in there and builds something. I have been exploring the new NPT near Benson, and had to hunt for one part because it wasn't where the Silver Lake UMP said it was going to be in 2006.

Certainly, the "Hudson Hyslop" parcel is beneficial; it enhances access to existing state land. All I said before was that it didn't contain any features of its own.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #17
Bill I.

Quote:
I would think the Good Luck Tract will further enhance the possibilities along the existing network of trails within the newly designated Hudson Gorge Wilderness...
A trail to Big Bad Luck from Stonystep Road would be cool. As I recall, there is a road through the "Good Luck" strip that might get one closer to Lake Francis.

Overall, I think the Sugarloaf and Fox Hill parcels will be the other areas of most interest in this group. These have features that people will want to see.

Benson Road (Tomantown) ... I'm not sure about. It's big, but I don't see anything there, other than perhaps an historic site.

The Blue Ridge Road parcel might make it possible to access the southernmost Dix Mountain Wilderness, which has always been blocked by private land in the past.

Buell removes an inholding and closes a road (that most people never realized were there).

North Creek and Cedar Ridge add some bulk to the surrounding state land.

Black Spruce is the back side of Prospect Mountain, so it remains to be seen what additional access is gained.

If I remember correctly, the only remaining parcels not yet transferred are the Boreas Ponds, MacIntyre "wings", and the Hudson River.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
A trail to Big Bad Luck from Stonystep Road would be cool. As I recall, there is a road through the "Good Luck" strip that might get one closer to Lake Francis.

Benson Road (Tomantown) ... I'm not sure about. It's big, but I don't see anything there, other than perhaps an historic site...
I wouldn't doubt it if there is indeed a trail to Stonystep from the Francis Lake-BBL trail, which I believe I heard/read about somewhere along the line. That combined with the routes east of Ross, Whortleberry, and Pine Mtn Ponds could make for some fun multi-day trips.

Benson Road... I see lots of unexplored Adirondack forest not far from home.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
ADK Tank

Quote:
Benson Road... I see lots of unexplored Adirondack forest not far from home.
Justin,

I would give it a few years before exploring the Benson Road Tract, the whole area was just logged off by the nature conservancy extremely heavily. I don't know if I have seen an area logged off more heavily unless it was clear cut. Truck loads of 6" diameter logs coming out of there headed to the paper mill was the norm. I was surprised by it and I have a forestry degree. They just pulled the equipment out last Friday. If you do decide to explore send me a PM and I will tell you how to get to a pretty nice waterfall though.
ADK Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK Tank View Post
Justin,

I would give it a few years before exploring the Benson Road Tract, the whole area was just logged off by the nature conservancy extremely heavily. I don't know if I have seen an area logged off more heavily unless it was clear cut. Truck loads of 6" diameter logs coming out of there headed to the paper mill was the norm. I was surprised by it and I have a forestry degree. They just pulled the equipment out last Friday. If you do decide to explore send me a PM and I will tell you how to get to a pretty nice waterfall though.
Thanks for the update Tank. Pretty sad when you think of what the name implies they (TNC) stands for!!!
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote