Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #41
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Couple of photos of my carbon/kevlar hybrid Hornbeck:

Starting out on my Trans-Adirondack Trek to Plattsburgh and the same boat with a home made spray cover that protected me on the big lakes with big waves:
I'm curious, who made your spray cover? I have one for my Sawyer Autumn Mist but not for my Hornbeck.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #42
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
I'm curious, who made your spray cover? I have one for my Sawyer Autumn Mist but not for my Hornbeck.
i did, with considerable help from my seamstress wife. I used pool noodles rolled up in fabric to act as dams from splash. The whole thing rolls up to fit in a bag when not needed. If I did it again, I would not use snaps, but have since had experience making four others to fit two Yukon River race voyageur and two C4 canoes. We successfully used velcro glued to just under the gunwales to make overlapping segmented covers. Each paddler had their own segment to fit around them.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-21-2020 at 07:42 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #43
Woodly

Quote:
i did, with considerable help from my seamstress wife. I used pool noodles rolled up in fabric to act as dams from splash. The whole thing rolls up to fit in a bag when not needed. If I did it again, I would not use snaps, but have since had experience making four others to fit two Yukon River race voyageur and two C4 canoes. We successfully used velcro glued to just under the gunwales to make overlapping segmented covers. Each paddler had their own segment to fit around them.
Any photos available?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #44
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Any photos available?
yeah the manufacture process is archived someplace, I'll have to search through the digital pile of thousands of related photos. Meanwhile here are some others I could easily find: all home made covers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5fingers dual.jpg (104.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg installing c4 cover2.jpg (67.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Green C4 takhini landing2.jpg (48.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg fivefingers.jpg (44.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg C4 Carmacks landing 20172.jpg (53.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-23-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #45
MTVhike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
to clarify, I mean a hung seat so I can kneel. Peoples back issues vary, but for me and many others, the kneeling position is the most comfortable.
"Back in the day", when I was paddling my 17' Grumman on mid-Appalachian whitewater, I would kneel and my feet would usually go under the seat. I would like to achieve the same style in a modern, lightweight canoe. (That was 55 years ago!).
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #46
bigkevkayaker

Did much of the same research and as a result, picking up Swift Prospector 14 from Anne and Rob at Raquette River Outfitters TODAY🥳
I have owned a Hornbeck 16ft carbon for the last 14 years and love it. Adding to the fleet so my lady can do more paddling in more remote areas. Always grateful to Peter for putting me in one of his boats.
bigkevkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #47
Sinite

I did not read through all the replies here, so hope I am not being redundant. My wife and I have done many two week trips with the two of us, our small dog, and all the food and gear needed in our 14' Hornbeck Classic. The hull shape is important if you want versatility. We have paddled large lakes in rough weather many times up in Canada on long trips. While the PB boats are prettier I much prefer the versatility of our Hornbeck. It makes a great solo boat as well.
I used to field test boats for Hornbeck. I found that some of their other hull designs were faster, tracked a little better, or turned a little sharper, but the classic handles the big waves. On long canoe trips we usually end up having to deal with paddling in rough conditions.
I sometimes wish that we had taken Pete up on the offer he gave us for the 16' solo tandem, but for now I will continue to cram myself in the back of the boat!
Ultimately as someone who owns a lot of gear and has been tripping for a long time now I have to say that our Hornbeck is my absolute favorite piece of gear. I cannot say enough good about it!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #48
Woodly

Quote:
yeah the manufacture process is archived someplace, I'll have to search through the digital pile of thousands of related photos. Meanwhile here are some others I could easily find: all home made covers
That's good, much thanks
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:42 AM   #49
Rich Lockwood

I can also confirm the seaworthiness of the classic Hornbeck hull. I paddled a classic 10 for several years, and got caught in some big waves several times. Even though I am 180# and was carrying my camping gear, that little bugger just rode the waves like a cork. I have owned and tripped in over a dozen solos-some much bigger, but I felt more secure in that Hornbeck than any of them.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #50
Wldrns

While crossing the northern end of Lake Champlain at Cumberland Bay with a strong south wind, waves were producing large rollers. As with lesser waves and wind my centrally loaded classic Hornbeck bobbed up and over even while partially broadside, though I was very glad to have the saving spray cover installed. I was happy to see my daughter waiting for me halfway along the peninsula at the end of my trip.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #51
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkevkayaker View Post
Did much of the same research and as a result, picking up Swift Prospector 14 from Anne and Rob at Raquette River Outfitters TODAY
While I think I am going to opt for something a little bit lighter, I do have to say that I am still intrigued by the Prospector 14. I'd go so far as to wonder whether the stated capacity is an "absolute maximum before the water overtakes the gunwales" except that Swift is pretty clearly a reputable brand, and the stated capacities for all of their other boats are pretty well in line with the operational capacities given for Placid Boatworks and Hornbeck.

For someone looking to prioritize maximum capacity in a boat that remains firmly in the "ultralight" class, it seems like you can't do much better. Have you had a chance to get out in it yet? How does it handle in comparison to the Hornbeck?

In any case, 400 lbs is far more capacity than I could ever see myself using (even on a luxurious base-camping trip with zero portages).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #52
bigkevkayaker

awesome

I did get to go out in the Prospector 14 on 4/23. Stopped on Polliwog off Floodwood Rd. I first have to say the boat is beautiful to look at, and even better to paddle. Higher seat that is very comfortable. I am 6'2 275 and I thought plenty of room for the paddler and 2 large packs, front and back. I thought it handled well in the stiff wind, was very maneuverable. I had it out a second time on Lake Champlain on a crystal calm day. Moves right along with double paddle, and easily with a single blade. I cant wait till this weekend when I go out 4 days/3nights!
bigkevkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #53
hike53

To Dsettahr

Give Bill Swift a call in Ontario. I've known Bill for a while and I am quite sure he can talk to you about your needs.
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote