Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Backcountry Shelter List: AL, CT, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, VT, WV

I've updated the shelter spreadsheet that I've been compiling over the years. The spreadsheet now lists backcountry shelters, lean-tos, cabins, huts, and lodges for pretty much the entire eastern coast of the US. NY is fairly accurate, I am sure that I am missing other shelters that I've either overlooked or aren't shown on maps through out the other states, though. Feel free to suggest any edits.

Some quick summary information about the number of shelters per state:

AL 8
CT 3
GA 23
MA 17
MD 12
ME 54
NC 36
NH 44
NJ 7
NY 390
PA 111
TN 28
VA 90
VT 73
WV 30

Note that not all of these shelters are free, some require a fee (and the ones that require a fee often also require reservations). I've tried to denote these in the comments for each shelter.

I've also included a column for tabulating progress on the Lean-to Challenge in NY. Only those shelters that are available for free, first-come first-serve camping at some point of the year are eligible for the challenge. (Some campground shelters, like those at Taylor Pond or Tioga Point, are fee use in the summer but revert to backcountry regulations in the off season- these are included in the challenge.) Currently, there are 342 lean-tos/shelters that are included in the challenge.

The spreadsheet is attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BackcountryShelters_Public.xls (153.5 KB, 93 views)
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Does the challenge includ how many a person has assisted in giving new roofs to, or drug in new logs and floors for, or rebuilt fire pits, or removed several feet of duff from beneath, or carried away literal tons of trash from... Or is it this challenge just that one has walked there?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

For me, it is nights spent in lean-tos. It's a personal goal, though, so I've got no objections to people modifying it for themselves.

I guess I would be at 3 lean-to roofs replaced, and probably 200-300 pounds of trash carried out. I'm sure there are folks here with a lot more than that (I know the L2R guys have replaced many lean-to roofs throughout the Adirondacks).
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Not to sidetrack this thread , but .....
Are the lean-to roofs now getting replaced with metal ? From the pictures it looks like most do not get enough sun to keep the moss from growing on the shingles.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Not to sidetrack this thread , but .....
Are the lean-to roofs now getting replaced with metal ? From the pictures it looks like most do not get enough sun to keep the moss from growing on the shingles.
Some of the shelters outside the Adirondacks and Catskills have metal roofs. The ones in the Forest Preserve do not, however. I would assume that this is due to the requirements in the APSLMP to use natural materials or materials that blend in with the surroundings.

Also, it's not easy getting either into the backcountry to replace a roof, but shingles are a little bit easier to carry miles into a lean-to than metal sheets are.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
(I know the L2R guys have replaced many lean-to roofs throughout the Adirondacks).
And gals!
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK123 View Post
And gals!
Yes, them too. Guys and gals... I've seen a few girls haul 100+ pounds of shingles 4 miles into the woods in a single trip.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
ADK123

Quote:
I've seen a few girls haul 100+ pounds of shingles 4 miles into the woods in a single trip.
Ha!

It's amazing what can be accomplished when there is a worthy project, great folks and lots o' laughs.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Some of the shelters outside the Adirondacks and Catskills have metal roofs. The ones in the Forest Preserve do not, however. I would assume that this is due to the requirements in the APSLMP to use natural materials or materials that blend in with the surroundings.

Also, it's not easy getting either into the backcountry to replace a roof, but shingles are a little bit easier to carry miles into a lean-to than metal sheets are.
OK , thanks. I can see where a 12 ' long stack of metal would be awkward to tote in several miles of trails , even if they last longer and weigh about the same as 2-3 bundles of shingles .
Sorry for the side track
Back to the OP and thanks to all the good folks that do the L2R S

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote