Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
Justin
Moving along

By any chance... Anyone ever have their dog get sick after a visit to LTL?
Jenny seems to be not be feeling well at all these past 24 hours or so. She threw up twice last night, and would not eat her breakfast this morning, and is still just not quite like her normal self at the moment. Jenny loves to be in the water, I'm wondering if the dark LTL water and disturbing the slimy rocks and her drinking from the lake may have something to do with it. The only time a similar thing happened is when she drank from the West Branch Sacandaga River a few years ago, and had diarrhea a couple days later.
Any thoughts?

....And no, she did not have one of Serotonin's Bass Milkshakes.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
nutmeg creeker

Justin: I was up there in the third week of August and camped a #19, which is very close to your site. I thought that the slimy rocks were exceptional, but what got our attention was the presence of dead "creatures" in the water in the vicinity of the site. One of my daughters thought that they were minnows(less than 1 inch in length), but we could see their eyes at what appeared to be the tops of their heads. I repeat that they were very small, but I didn't see any of the DEC folks when we took out so I didn't have a way to bring this to anyone's attention. Your mention of Jenny's illness jogged my memory and it now has me wondering. Perhaps someone else out there has a few ideas. My knowledge of many aspects of the natural world is minimal.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #23
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the reply, NC.
I didn't see any dead creatures in the water, but I don't doubt that is could be some kind of bacterial bug upsetting her stomach. We've called the vet, and if it persists later today into tomorrow we will be bringing her in for a visit.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #24
Tick Magnet

Not sure if the lack of rain is causing a bacterial bloom, but on the small pond we frequent, there's no water coming in or going out. It's an 82 degree bathtub. I've got two cases of swimmer's ear in the past three weeks from the lake water. LTL seems a little large to have that problem, but maybe she got into some funk, as labs often do. Happened to our lab once, he was very dehydrated and required a couple bags of IV to flush the critters out of his GI system.

Keep us posted, we love her pictures.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Ken.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
serotonin
ember

The mere mention of Little Tupper makes me physically ill.
She will not recover in our lifetime, nor in countless generations.
Perhaps never.

One of the last great jewels lost forever.

On the other hand, I'm confident that Jenny will feel better within 24 hours.
You got a good dog there, Justin.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #27
Justin
Moving along

Thank you for the kind words, Sero.
As a fellow trout fisherman at heart, I completely understand what you're saying, but as someone who also enjoys paddling and camping, Little Tupper was by far my favorite trip of the summer thus far.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #28
madison

Last time I was at Little Tupper was 2years ago, but no sickness or issues with my dog occurred.

I hope Jenny is feeling better soon. Let us know what you learn regarding her sickness; I am considering heading up that way (Round Lake) this Sunday, and if there is something in the water that could make my dog sick I may change my plans.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Madison.

Quick update:
Jenny is feeling much better, eating well and playing with her toys again.
Thanks again for the concern.
My friend Bill also touched on what Tick Magnet had mentioned about the summer drought and algal bloom (which Conk also pointed out in the "Green Home-Plate photo), and he seemed to remember a similar occurrence in the Round Lake, LTL, Rock Pond area during the summer drought of '01, with the water being very brownish in color and having a funny odor to it, which Jenny still smells like, even after the bath we gave her the other day after we returned home.

Last edited by Justin; 09-09-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #30
Hard Scrabble

Nice photos, Justin.
What are "stable flies"?
Are they the ones that look just like a house fly, but with one big tooth??
I called them "Saber Tooth Flies"
Discard the selfie. )))
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Nice photos, Justin.
What are "stable flies"?
Are they the ones that look just like a house fly, but with one big tooth??
I called them "Saber Tooth Flies"
Discard the selfie. )))
Jim
Thanks Jim.
Yup, stable flies, AKA barn flies, or biting house flies are those little bastards that love to attack your ankles.
I'm not sure how many teeth they have, but they sure do hurt, and are annoying as hell!
And what's the matter with my "Shameless Selfie" haha?
That's just me having one of the best days I've had in a long time, and since I was alone, and I've yet to teach Jenny how to use the camera, I wanted to try and capture what happy me looked like...It's been a while.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #32
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Not to mention the difference in litter, abuse, and overuse, which for the most part seemed to be nonexistent at LTL from what I saw.
Farther away from NYC
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Farther away from NYC
Those darn Downstaters haha.
Just kidding of course. There were a few New Jersey plates in the parking lot when I left.
I kind of got that feeling that since the area was opened to the public in the late '90's, it has been managed pretty well, (minus the fishery of course), and it never really had a chance to gain a reputation as a party spot so to speak. Plus, not having any lean-tos helps. But that was only my first visit to LTL, so what do I know.