Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Neil
Admin

30 days alone in the woods.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ness-1.3201347

Quote:
Corey, who turned 30 on Aug. 24, packed light. He rejected a tent for shelter preferring to take a sleeping bag, hammock, tarps and a mosquito net instead.

Corey has packed enough food for two weeks of his trip. He is relying on fishing and eating wild berries to sustain him for the rest of his expedition.

"I've packed enough food for two weeks," said Corey.

"I've got a bag of dried beans, a bag of dried rice. Some beef jerky and my mom packed me some homemade macaroons. "

He's confident a fishing rod and wild berries will sustain him for the remainder his woodland stay.

Corey is also choosing to think of the expedition as a rite of passage.

"In North America, we don't have those rites of passages that other cultures do," said Corey.

"In Brazil, they have to put their hand in gloves filled with bullet ants, they have an incredibly painful bite. Or in Vanuatu where they tie vines to their feet and bungee jump. We just don't have that here."
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Conk

The article says his pack weighs 70kg. I hope that is a misprint as I feel I could live high off the hog with that many provisions. I wouldn't be moving about too much with that kind of weight though. I can't believe he chooses to bring 154 pounds of stuff and feels a roll of TP would be over the top, talk about living deliberately.
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
geogymn

He will probably be fine for the first half of the trip. Tough to live off of berries and trout no matter how romantic it sounds. Loneliness is one tribulation a self perceived lone wolf fails to foresee. I hope he does well, it will be a learning experience no matter the outcome. Happy trails!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Neil
Admin

Berries yield roughly 100 calories per cup and while fish is a good protein source it isn't very rich. About 600 cals per pound of meat.

From reading the article I wondered whether he had spent a lot of time in the woods. I would have taken a saw instead of a hatchet, or both. In fact, a small splitting axe, with a longer handle works better than a hatchet and doesn't weigh much more.

Also, I would have taken a syl-nylon tarp and a tent rather than a hammock set-up. When it rains all day you can sit under the tarp and be quite comfortable (while reading Thoreau).

One way or the other he's in for an interesting experience and will have learned a few things along the way.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Berries yield roughly 100 calories per cup and while fish is a good protein source it isn't very rich. About 600 cals per pound of meat.

From reading the article I wondered whether he had spent a lot of time in the woods. I would have taken a saw instead of a hatchet, or both. In fact, a small splitting axe, with a longer handle works better than a hatchet and doesn't weigh much more.

Also, I would have taken a syl-nylon tarp and a tent rather than a hammock set-up. When it rains all day you can sit under the tarp and be quite comfortable (while reading Thoreau).

One way or the other he's in for an interesting experience and will have learned a few things along the way.
I would have chosen the bullet ants
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
You are being facetious, yes? Bullet ants score the highest on the Schmidt Pain Index:

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectac...x-which-sting/

Description: Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch nail in your heel.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK123 View Post
You are being facetious, yes? Bullet ants score the highest on the Schmidt Pain Index:

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectac...x-which-sting/

Description: Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch nail in your heel.
A bit...I saw something on these the other day, a video of someone actually doing the glove test. But then when I was a youngster, I used to catch bees and sting myself with them on purpose, so I'm not right in the head.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
The Bene Gesserit would approve
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The Bene Gesserit would approve
Not going to lie...had to Google that one!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Within the first 50 pages or so of Dune by Frank Herbert, it will become apparent what I was going for.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
Neil
Admin

Well, he pulled the plug (using his Spot device) after a week.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...days-1.3209641

Quote:
Mike Corey signalled for help from his GPS locator unit over the weekend.

The preprogrammed message read: "Hey Guys! I need some help. It may or may not be a big problem, but I'll need a pick-up soon."

"Made a conscious decision to pull out yesterday," he said in a statement to CBC News on Sunday.

"I wasn't hurt or unhappy, just came to some realizations while I was out there," he said.

"A week alone is a very wild experience."
Old 08-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
Trail Boss

Analogy for Mike Corey's "Rite of Passage":
He camped in his backyard, discovered it wasn't what he expected, and was back in his bed before sunrise.

Think that's too judgmental? Consider the fact he spent the entire week no more than 2 miles from a highway (0.5 miles from a dirt road!)

"Getting away from technology" excluded his SPOT so here is a record of his "week at the lake": SPOT Track

My favorite comment from the CBC site:
Quote:
Camping for a week is a significant accomplishment?
I believe this sets a precedent for anyone wishing to get their fishing/canoeing/hunting/camping trip covered by the CBC. Just fib about the length of the trip and throw in some babble about "getting in touch with yourself/Gaia/Big Foot/whatever".

Shame on the CBC for setting the 'newsworthy bar' so low.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 08-31-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

The problem with publicizing something like this and making a big production of it is when you fail, you're seen as an epic failure, instead of just some person who went out to spend time in the 'wild'.

FWIW I've had some of my best 'wild' times in the Adirondacks less than a couple miles from a road. I wouldn't hold that against anyone.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
WBB

My first thought was that he wanted to replicate the story line of Into the Wild. Glad to see this young man choose to have a different ending.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Trail Boss

This fellow spent 4 days in May canoeing & fishing in the same area.
http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...-new-brunswick
If you read his blog, he drove along the old logging road until he was within 500 meters of Second Fowler lake. A trail leads from the road to the lake.

Mike Corey was never more than an hour's easy walk from a highway. The degree of risk was minimal. Effectively, he spent a week at Cheney Pond or similar.

Even if he had camped there for 4 weeks, it was a non-event. He would've foraged for food for 2 weeks or until he became hungry, punched his SPOT, and walked to the highway. Hardly an accomplishment worth reporting by the Canadian national news agency (my misspent tax dollars).

Future banality from the CBC: Man spends his vacation camping in Mont-Tremblant Park.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
WBB

All's well that ends well. Hopefully he learned a little about himself and is better for it. The unfortunate thing is the media hype that surrounds these type of events (stunts) leads other ill prepared people into doing the same thing. Sometimes with far worse results. It calls to mind this story from Temagami.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...-man-1.3091276

While somewhat remote the area he traveled would not be considered wilderness by any stretch of the imagination. Bad things can happen close to the road if you are not prepared.

It took almost four years to bring closure for his family. Very sad.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote