Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Adirondack Black Bear Attacks Small Dog & Owner

...or perhaps... Adirondack Black Bear Defends Itself From Small Unleashed Dog & Its Owner...
http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Bear_...Salisbury.html

Last edited by Justin; 08-12-2015 at 08:56 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Pauly D.

I agree. Just leave the bear alone and it will be on it's way. Especially a black bear. I'm sorry the guy got hurt but it sounds like the dog provoked the bear.
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
CabinGuy

Typical blame the victim mentality...
CabinGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinGuy View Post
Typical blame the victim mentality...
Who's the victim? Sounds like the bear, to me.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
CabinGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Who's the victim? Sounds like the bear, to me.
Unlikely... If the bear was not a threat, it would have run from the human and the dog...

But, we agree to disagree and that is fine and also my final word on the matter. Good day...
CabinGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinGuy View Post
Unlikely... If the bear was not a threat, it would have run from the human and the dog...

But, we agree to disagree and that is fine and also my final word on the matter. Good day...
Perhaps - but it also sounds like no one really has the first hand information, so both of us are simply speculating, at best.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
cityboy

I thought Black bears don't attack. They're easily predictable right?
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Tick Magnet

Wasn't Newbie up there a couple days ago?

Maybe the bear was looking for one of his seaweed sandwiches
Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

True. Even Mr. Spinner may not be entirely sure what caused the incident to occur...for all we know the bear could've been feeding on something (even one of Newbie's seaweed sandwiches ) when the dog startled the bear. Just another good reason to always keep your dog close to you if he/she is unleashed.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
...or perhaps... Adirondack Black Bear Defends Itself From Small Unleashed Dog & Its Owner...
http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Bear_...Salisbury.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
I agree. Just leave the bear alone and it will be on it's way. Especially a black bear. I'm sorry the guy got hurt but it sounds like the dog provoked the bear.
Wow! Really?!?

People on here really want to make the argument that it was the dog and owner's fault for getting attacked by a bear? With little information to corroborate their claim at that?

Bears are wild animals, and dogs, though domesticated, act like wild animals from time to time. Maybe there was an interaction or confrontation that occurred between the 2 animals, as happens quite frequently in the wild, and the man tried to intervene to keep his dog safe...speculation on my part perhaps, but the article does convey that sequence of events.

I also love the definitive nature of some of these posts, "leave the bear alone and it will be on its way."

Yeah, because wild animals always act in a predictable manner. I guess that time where a black bear ambled into my campsite, in broad daylight, ignoring my 'Hey Bear's', charged me, ignoring the bear repellent I sprayed, and stole my food bag was a figment of my imagination...because bears always leave people alone, as long as you don't provoke them...
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Here we go again...
Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Here we go again...
Nope. Not going to happen!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Wow! Really?!?

People on here really want to make the argument that it was the dog and owner's fault for getting attacked by a bear? With little information to corroborate their claim at that?
My apologies. I probably shouldn't have posted the alternate title... Just me being silly after a long day. I just meant that some folks should probably be careful of letting their dogs wander through the forest as they please. Not just because of bears, but because of porcupines, skunks, snakes, and other wild animals. Not to mention other humans. Not everyone loves dogs. If you can't keep your dog close, then they probably should always be on a leash, but perhaps that is a different topic which has been discussed in the past here on other threads.
I hope all parties involved make a full recovery, and perhaps learned a lesson.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

That Justin... he's always causin' trouble... just like that bear
montcalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

According to the Adirondack Almanac it was a border terrier, which is a pretty small dog.

I'd be worried about raptors....and this dog was on a leash:
http://youtu.be/GRQDfMxq8Rg
Old 08-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
Bounder45

It sounds like the bear is going to live out the rest of his/her life (since the DEC hasn't deemed him/her enough of a threat to be put down).

There are no indications yet that the injuries sustained by the dog or man are life threatening (hopefully it stays that way).

I have no particular dislike for bears (though I do respect their capabilities), and I certainly think dogs should be controlled by their owners, at all times, even in the wilderness. But I think 'blaming' one party or the other in this kind of situation is kind of trivial....there is no morality in mother nature, only darwinism in its rawest form. It's not at all hard to believe that a black bear (which is an omnivore) would try to prey on a small dog, like a border terrier...not saying that was the case in this situation, just saying that it's totally within the realm of what's possible.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

Let's not have a knee-jerk reaction.
No one really knows everything about this encounter.
The bear most likely was a female with cubs in the area.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
The bear most likely was a female with cubs in the area.
If we don't know everything about the encounter, what makes you think that?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
Hard Scrabble

Why do I think that??
Because black bears by nature, are timid animals.
They break into unoccupied camps but almost never attack humans.
There have been isolated reports of black bears attacking humans in areas that have been closed to hunting for many bear generations, thus losing their fear of humans.
This encounter occurred in Fulton County where bears are fair game during the fall hunting season.
I've hunted deer in the Adirondacks for over fifty years, every bear that I saw in the woods ran away from me.
I had my tent camp destroyed one time when I was not there.
So, I draw from long experience that black bears are not a threat.
They can be a nuisance though.
My guess is that the bear in question had cubs in the area.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
cityboy

Somewhere on this forum another member posted a very similar bear-dog incident. In that case the bear charged but did not attack. I remember commenting that his wife was very lucky.
In dealing with a wild animal you just never know how they'll react.

In this particular instance I saw an interview with a neighbor who thought it might have been a bear that had been rummaging through garbage earlier.
In my book a bear that shows no fear is one to be feared.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote