Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Alpine1

Floodwood Road

We are planning a midweek camping/kayaking trip to the Saranac region. I have camped at Rollins Pond in the past but would prefer something a bit different. Are there drive up camping sites along the floodwood road? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not so sure we are equipped to paddle to a site unless it were close by due to dog misc gear needs.

Thanks Norm
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes, there are primitive drive up sites along Floodwood Road. The Paddling Maps (if you don't have one, I'm sure you can probably purchase one at the outfitters at the end of Floodwood Road, or definitely at one of the outdoor gear shops in Saranac Lake) show several campsites on Polliwog Pond, one on Middle Pond, one on Floodwood Pond, and one on East Pine Pond. All of these ponds also have campsites located elsewhere on the pond that should be readily accessible by boat.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
VTskier

As noted there are a number of drive-in sites along Floodwood Rd. However, ever time I'm driven that road, weekday or weekend, the sites have all been taken. So I'd have a backup plan.

You could go to Long Pond at the end of Floodwood Rd. You have to portage a 1/4 mile from the parking lot to the canoe launch, but its an easy walk. There are a couple of sites on the lake not far from the launch area. Or some very nice sites at the far end of the lake.

Brian
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
John P

I've only been there a few times, and I've only camped there once, but my observation is that the campsites on Floodwood Rd vary a lot. Some are on lakes and some aren't, and the lakeside ones are occupied pretty much all the time. I mean, free waterfront camping with no requirement to carry your stuff any distance? It's going to be popular. But if you just want a place to crash after a long drive in from home, prior to starting your canoe trip the next day, there will most likely be something available. That's what happened the time I camped there. We stayed one night, and hit Long Pond in the morning.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Msample

You could also drive along Floodwood Rd, park at the St. Regis Outfitters lot on the portage, and put in on Floodwood Pond . There are a couple campsites right on the pond, and others on Little Square Pond that are an easy paddle away.

Even if a site along Floodwood was open, you'd be listening to traffic drive by at all hours - not my cup of tea.

Or you could put in at Second Pond on Lower Saranac ( would require reserving a site ) . There are many sites that are an easy paddle away from there.

Lastly IIRC there are a handful of drive up sites along Hoel Pond .
Msample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
skichucky
I Heart Freshies

My wife, 3 month old son, and 2 dogs just got back from a weekend on floodwood rd. We stayed at #14 i think, on east pine pond. there was no traffic to speak of. it was great. many of the sites on the way out there were taken. the site on middle pond looks great, but no privacy from the road. also, that is before st. regis outfitters, the east pine pond is after, so less traffic. we saw a deer, fox with rabbit in mouth, and a turtle all within 100 yards of campsite. when i paddled for a sunset watch one night, a loon landed nearby and made lots of noise, i never saw it, but no mistake it was a loon. we hiked on the fish creek loop snowmobile trail 11ish miles, did not encounter a soul. but the bugs were horrendous, unless you applied, and reapplied deep woods off. my wife was not happy. the little guy(3 months) just had a bug net covering him on my backpack. he was fine, not a bite. there was a spot coming back north toward floodwood rd, somewhere around polliwod pond where we had no choice, other than a bushwack, to go through a beaver dam carefully to cross a large open section of water. it was doable. beautiful spot, great for us cuz of the kid.
skichucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

When I head up to the SRCA I usually leave CT after work and don't arrive until 11pm to 2pm depending on the work schedule. I usually go into Hoel Pond canoe launch and hang the hammock, there is camping allowed right at the caunch. That way I can get an early start into wherever I'm headed next morning. Years ago I went to the Floodwood Rd. sites but they are usually full now. Hoel is kind of an open area and always room for a quick nights sleep. If I get up north before dark (seldom) then I paddle into a site near a launch, Pollywog is nice because I can get in a bit of fishing early in the AM.
Follinsby Clear Pond has easy access to very nice sites too.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
bZrperfspec

New guy here... I didn't want to start a whole new post for my trip (Until I create a write-up!) so I picked the most current/recent post to add onto. 3 of my buddies and I are planning a trip to Long Pond (Near the Canoe Outfitters) in July. Only planning to do a Friday, Saturday, Sunday trip. We are tossing around the idea of including Thursday too, or leaving really early (Midnight - Coming from WMass) to get there at first light on Friday. I've done a lot of reading on here (Great Resource) and it seems that Long Pond is a popular Pond. Is Friday Morning normally a popular time that people unload? Also is Mountain Lake normally occupied? Looking for a little seclusion! (After reading here (Back to the 2007 threads), Long Pond might not be the best idea)

Thanks for the help guys/girls!
bZrperfspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
dpc34

If you are using long pond I would start thursday and use the second entry to the pond, further up the rd, but a shorter walk to the pond.....dave
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
bZrperfspec

Yeah I was thinking about the second entry. We are not scared of portaging at all and wouldn't mind doing so to to get that "Secluded" Feeling. 10 year anniversary from when we all met at School. Thats why I was asking about Mountain Pond.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZrperfspec View Post
Yeah I was thinking about the second entry. We are not scared of portaging at all and wouldn't mind doing so to to get that "Secluded" Feeling. 10 year anniversary from when we all met at School. Thats why I was asking about Mountain Pond.
Summer weekend, practically any trail will have hiking traffic. Long Pond will be busy and Long Pond Mtn is a popular destination, a "canoer's mountain" as Paul Jamieson once said. The Mountain Pond campsite is close enough to that trail so you can bet you would see several folks passing by, gawking at the beautiful views of MP from the elevated site. However, it's not hard to find seclusion if you understand Leave No Trace and comply with DEC rules about making primitive camp 150+ feet from trail or water. But if you do, please do strictly follow LNT.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Grey-Jay

good and bad

My camping experiences on Floodwood Road have been drastically different, season dependent. Camping at non waterfront sites in the off season, I heard nothing but loons and barred owls. Camping at a nonwaterfront site near Long Pond last summer, I heard mainly loud music and people shouting. Except in the off season, I am never that optimistic about un-supervised roadside campsites that serve as large group party spots. If it were me, I'd camp out on Floodwood pond.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
bZrperfspec

Thanks guys. I guess we will just hope for the best and possibly make our way to Mountain Pond or through the loop to Slang/Turtle. I have already been on Floodwood from when I stayed at Fish Creek Campgrounds so I would like to go explore something a little different.

Looks like we will be there Friday Morning at first light (4 1/2 hour drive).
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
gmagnes

Long Pond Thoughts

I agree that Long Pond might get a bit crowded on a summer week end, but it has a pretty good number of nice, pretty widely dispersed wilderness camp sites. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if you have trouble finding a site to your liking if you go in early on Friday. Whether the Mountain Pond site is available or not is just a luck of the draw type thing, but I'd say you have at least a chance, if that's the one you want. I'd say that there are a number of other attractive sites on that rear bay too if the Mtn Pond site is taken. I'd also second the suggestion an other poster made to park in the lot that is further down the road from the outfitter and go in from there. It's a shorter walk to the put in (about 1/3 of a mile I think) and you still have access to anywhere else on the Pond. Have a great time. By all means climb St. Regis mtn and paddle through the chain of lakes (Turtle, Slang, Hoel, etc.). The carries are very, very short. It's a beautiful area and Long Pond is a great choice. Enjoy.
Gerry
gmagnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
bZrperfspec

Thanks Gerry for the advice, hopefully it all works out

I've personally climbed St. Regis twice but my buddies have not yet. I don't think its accesable by Canoe until you get to St. Regis Lake right? (Lower I think?) We will probably check out Long Pond Mountain.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
gmagnes

Oops

I meant Long Pond mtn. rather than St. Regis, although St. Regis is a nice climb too if you're at that end of the St. Regis area.
Gerry
gmagnes is offline   Reply With Quote