Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
ADK123

MSR Snowshoe - rust?

I purchased a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents last year and recently noticed a discoloration on the crampons. They've turned brown - my first thought was rust but it doesn't flake off. If it is rust, is there anything I can do to stop further damage?
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
JoeCedar

MSR Snowshoe - rust?

The cause is corrosion by road salt. Remove your snowshoes well before reaching the road or trailhead parking. I use my snowshoes for years and get no discoloration.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
TCD

Right. Or rinse them off thoroughly when you get home. The same applies to crampons, axes, etc.; anything you might lay down on or near the road in the process of unloading from or reloading into the car.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
ADK123

Aha. That makes sense. Thank you JoeCedar and TCD.

As for the current corrosion - anything I can do to fix that? I don't care it is discolored, I just want to prevent any further damage.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
rachelsdad

Funny...I just pulled mine out last Friday after not using them since last season for our trip to Jay Peak VT this past week...total washout btw...all ice

I've never been on salt...but all the rivets on the bindings are rusted and the crampon powdercoating has flaked off the teeth of one crampon....I repeat, never on roads or salt

I was going to call MSR....how would the rivets be made of a material that would rust?? I have a pair of Tubbs that are 3x as old...never an issue.

Any ideas?
rachelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
chrs

I spray a little WD40 on a rag and wipe down as much metal of my snowshoes as I can. I do this before storage for the year and not before use so I don't track it all through the woods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote