Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #41
geogymn

Just for fun, can anyone come up with an alternative name for the "Great South Woods"?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #42
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Just for fun, can anyone come up with an alternative name for the "Great South Woods"?
How about "The Great Southern Adirondacks"?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #43
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
How about "The Great Southern Adirondacks"?
I like that better. It is more descriptive and doesn't dilute the uniqueness of the place. There are some great woods in the south and I hope they grow greater but they will never be boreal. Methinks there is a better name out there waiting to be declared.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #44
geogymn

Looking for something more poetic, non-generic. A name to retain the mystery and alluring opposed to amusement and the concrete. Something native American, like Ga-nun-da-gwa (the chosen spot), Onondaga (hill place), Denali (the great one), Catoosa (into the hills), Weleetka (running water), etc. On course the name would have to be unique, descriptive, and of local dialect. Maybe "where the Brook Trout swim" or "where heritage dwells" in the native language. Where's the curmudgeon when you need him?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #45
Justin
Moving along

The Great Southern Neck O' the Woods
Old 02-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #46
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'll be there tonight. Look for the bearded guy from ESF.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #47
Wldrns

The "Noble" Woods. (for Nobleboro)

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-25-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'll be there tonight. Look for the bearded guy from ESF.
Well, that narrows it down.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #49
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK123 View Post
Well, that narrows it down.

Sadly this "Stumpy" alumnus couldn't grow a beard to save his life.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #50
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The "Noble" Woods.
Most excellent! Arthur is smiling.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #51
Ishmael8

The bulk of the "resources" dedicated to the southern ADKs or the ADKs in general should be put into the enforcement of the protection of this great Park. Enforce the existing rules as to the protection of the Park. If people want to develop or manage the land - management is many times code word for development - they should live somewhere else. I have been coming to the ADKs since the early 70s. The sporadic/poorly planned development and "management" of the Park makes me cringe. Ever so slowly but methodically eating away at the natural beauty of this place that I love. THE ONLY MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE ITS PROTECTION.

"You only need sit long enough in some attractive spot in the woods that all its inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns" Thoreau
Ishmael8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #52
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael8 View Post
The bulk of the "resources" dedicated to the southern ADKs or the ADKs in general should be put into the enforcement of the protection of this great Park. Enforce the existing rules as to the protection of the Park. If people want to develop or manage the land - management is many times code word for development - they should live somewhere else. I have been coming to the ADKs since the early 70s. The sporadic/poorly planned development and "management" of the Park makes me cringe. Ever so slowly but methodically eating away at the natural beauty of this place that I love. THE ONLY MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE ITS PROTECTION.

"You only need sit long enough in some attractive spot in the woods that all its inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns" Thoreau
When you say development, what do you mean specifically? Development of private resources/properties in the park? Or development of recreational facilities (trails, campsites, lean-tos, etc) on public lands within the park?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #53
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
When you say development, what do you mean specifically? Development of private resources/properties in the park? Or development of recreational facilities (trails, campsites, lean-tos, etc) on public lands within the park?
Thanks, DS. I often see this kind of input. It seems to me that some folks either don't know that there is both state land and private land in the "park," or they do know but don't like the fact.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #54
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

If we're tossing around names I have a few

The Adirondack South Woods
The Southern Adirondack Wilds
The Southern Lakelands
The Great Sasquatch Forest
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #55
Justin
Moving along

Bump

More meetings planned:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...tml#more-56686

Quote:
The public is invited to provide their feedback at three meetings:

November 12 from 6 to 8 p.m. at View arts center in Old Forge, New York

November 19 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Tannery Pond Community Center in North Creek, New York

November 23 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Oak Mountain Ski Center, Speculator, New York

- See more at: http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...tml#more-56686
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #56
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
DSettahr, are these meetings essentially a repeat of the first round, or is there new information and are new inputs being solicited by working with the maps as we did last time?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #57
Tick Magnet

Saw this in this morning's Schenectady Daily Gazette:

August 12, 2016

ADIRONDACKS — The state Department of Environmental Conservation has accepted the recommendations of a report on promoting a wide swath of the southern Adirondacks as the “Great South Woods.”

The report released Friday recommends more recreational opportunities in the region.

The Great South Woods is closer to major cities than the rest of the Adirondack Park and lacks cloud-splitter mountains, but contains some of the park’s wildest backcountry, filled with lakes and ponds.

In human terms, it is characterized by communities such as Indian Lake and Speculator, with no more than a few hundred permanent residents, that chronically struggle to sustain their economies and hope to increase their number of visitors.

“Promoting access and connectivity throughout the Adirondack Park communities is essential,” said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. “A goal of this planning process is to ensure that DEC and partners continue to foster this as recreational facilities are developed and enhanced.”

The Great South Woods includes 2 million Adirondack acres — about a third of the park. It stretches from Great Sacandaga Lake to Old Forge, and north to the Essex Chain of Lakes.

The Great South Woods includes almost all of Hamilton County and portions of Fulton, Saratoga, Essex, Warren and Herkimer counties.

DEC described the study as applying on a large landscape the planning techniques it typically uses in developing unit-management plans for small blocks of state-owned lands.

Among the study’s goals were to make recommendations to optimize a wide spectrum of outdoor recreational opportunities and designate a new, community-based land-and-water trail and lodging systems.

The study also recommends improved access in the front-country areas of state lands, combined with improved protection of backcountry areas. In addition to designation of hiking trails, it allows for development of more community-connector snowmobile trails.

“Connecting the Forest Preserve to park communities will broaden economic opportunities and increase visitation,” said Sherman Craig, chairman of the Adirondack Park Agency, which helped design the study.

The report was prepared for DEC by the state College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse, and its conclusions were reached after nearly two years of study and a number of public meetings. The college was paid $250,000.

Local government officials generally want to see more access to the state’s lands to encourage people other than hard-core hikers to visit their communities.

“The goal of this report is to make sure that as planning for state lands within this region of the park is conducted, the need to connect communities and maximize economic opportunities, including increased tourism, are part of the plan,” said William Farber, chairman of the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors.

DEC officials will now review the report and work with communities, recreation interests and other stakeholders to refine and implement the proposals, DEC said.

Future steps will include engagement with local communities to identify priority projects and do design work.

Reach Gazette reporter Stephen Williams at 395-3086, swilliams@dailygazette.net or @gazettesteve on Twitter.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #58
Buckladd

Yes, the press release sent yesterday had a link to the report:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107049.html

Looks like we've got some reading to do.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #59
TCD

I have not yet read the report, but it's nice to read the positive language in the news item.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote