Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Riosacandaga
soggy

Wilcox Lake Wild Forest

Tried to get out of the house in a hurry and left all my kit on the back porch. Discovered when I was unloading my bike from my truck at the end of the road. Oh well, if you really need it, it should be on your person. Only thing I really missed was my water ...
Rode a ways on the closed road- not fun... turn the cranks.. pretty boring pushing through six inches of powder- thinking about skiing.
Turned off the road into some campsite areas- I could tell they were well used- not a branch on a tree within reach- did some free riding along the crick- up some knolls , through the woods... snow not as deep but still hardback underneath... back out to the road and continues...
Signs Signs every where a sign- private property- posted- state signs - private signs all kinds of directions- look ahead stay on the trail-
Around the back of the mountain and back to Stoney Creek... blow downs- wind fall and trees down , a bath robe.
Road to Wilcox Lake Outlet confluence , or about there, and turned around.
Easier breaking trail than riding the single track...
No harm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EStonyBB1.jpg (66.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg EStonyBB3.jpg (71.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg EStonyBB5.jpg (71.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg EStonyBB6.jpg (42.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg EStonyBB7.jpg (90.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
bmike-vt

Looks like a nice ride. 6" can be work depending on conditions! You running the 8spd setup?
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
JimB

Looks like a great ride. I just looked at my snow covered bike and the thermometer and wimped out
Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Riosacandaga
soggy

Thanks Mike & JimB, Temps were in the high teens not too bad. I see where the bar mitts are gaining in popularity. Have you considered them JmB?
Mike- made the conversion to 8 speed- that folks at Salsa really dialed in the Dingle Speed gearing. I spend much of the time in the 22X28 range and tweak to 22X32 for some climbing and 22X26-21 for cruising. I haven't had it up on the 30t chainring yet in the 'D8' mode. I'm pretty sure I will convert back to the Dingle gearing in the summer.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
bmike-vt

I got some cheap ATV mitts off Amazon a couple of years ago. Work pretty well, thin gloves for most riding, thicker for when it gets into the single digits.
A little floppy, but I've been lazy about adding a stiffener to them.

For anything under 25 or so I use them.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
ADK123

Looks like a really fun time. 6"? I tried that on my first time out. I could barely peddle. Coming back out on my track was a heck of a lot easier.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
JimB

I have pogies on mine that I bought for 5 bucks at a vintage sled meet. They work pretty good on my Jones bars. Today I walked around my loop with snowshoes so it will be rideable this week. Thinking about grooming it with a tire drag to make a fast surface. I find that riding in conditions like you had that it becomes an exercise in balance, like trials riding. Not fast but still a great workout and fun. What is your seat bag and handlebar bags?

Last edited by JimB; 01-11-2015 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: question
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Riosacandaga
soggy

Revelate Feed bags off the bars and their larger seat bag.