Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #161
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
Once I make the new seat frame, I'll cut away the old cleats that are attached to the sides. The bottom mounted supports will still allow me the tuck a leg or two under me, and I can straddle one support or another if kneeling and heeling.
I just finished wetting out more CF that wraps from hull to support, all around. I didn't want to rely on epoxy alone the keep those supports in place. I had some left over CF braided sleeving that I cut into strips, I think it will do the job. Again, I'll post some photos when I'm done.

And, I just checked the holding power of that industrial strength velcro (3M Dual Lock)...it holds up to 57 psi tensile and 32 lbs/in of width in shear. Should be plenty strong enough.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #162
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here are those seat supports, as done as they will ever be...I stuck them in place with Cabosil thickened epoxy, added a fillet with that same thickened epoxy, and lastly laid in some more carbon fiber to bridge from the hull to the supports. The supports are plenty rigid enough, a single support holds all of my weight. And I mocked up the seat/portage yoke to verify that such a cantilevered support would actually support the boat and balance well. Yeah, it works just as designed, so I guess it's time to move on and build that seat/portage yoke!!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #163
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

They certainly look very solid. I would have thought of putting some kind of X bracing between them if they were wood at that height but it seems like the legs are so wide that they would be unbreakable by the weight of a person with those fillet pieces in place. Will you have some fore and aft adjustability of the seat on top of the supports or is the velcro only so that you can turn the seat around for carrying? I'll be looking forward to seeing the completed setup.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #164
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Oh yeah, I'll have a continuous strip of 3M Dual Lock along the top of the supports and the underside of the seat frame. That should allow the seat to be in any position fore to aft, even overhanging. So the seat will have near infinite adjustability both as a seat and as a portage yoke. Should the 3M Dual Lock have insufficient tensile strength (either at the interface or attachment surfaces) I can use a short strap to withstand the resultant of the cantilever induced moments.
The supports themselves are quite stiff, but the hull where they are attached actually deflects with lateral load on the supports. In use, this likely will not be a problem, since the seat will brace the supports in that plane. If that deflection proves to be an issue, I'll install a brace between the supports. A single cross brace up high (but still below the seat mount surface) would do the job, X bracing shouldn't be necessary.

The hardest part for me will be the removal of the hull mounted cleats. That will be the last step, I won't remove them until I have completed and tested the seat/yoke. Until then, I can still use the Cold River Bob donated seat.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #165
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OK, here are the almost final photos of my Kite...
I used Interlux Brightside to paint two coats on the outside of the hull. The paint flowed nicely and is almost as nice as an automotive finish, I do have some orange peel, but overall it looks much better than most production boats.
Also received the 3M Dual Lock stuff, I can lift the entire boat by the seat frame, so I think the stuff will do all that I need it to once the seat frame/yoke is done.
For anyone that's interested, that 3M dual Lock is some fantastic stuff, incredibly strong, rated for over 1,000 fastening cycles, and easy to use. Could be a great solution for solo boats and the removable portage yoke dilemma.

Anyway, here is the boat after finishing (mostly)

Old 07-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #166
Justin
Moving along

Gorgeous!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #167
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Gorgeous!
Ditto!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #168
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thank you, gentlemen.
Keith, I'm sure we'll bump into each other one of these days, you can take the Kite for a spin and see how you like it.
Justin, if you want to borrow the Kite, just let me know, that hull might suit you just right.
You are going to build a boat, aren't you?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #169
Vermont Scott

It looks absolutely stunning! Is that a seat I see in the second picture?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #170
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont Scott View Post
It looks absolutely stunning! Is that a seat I see in the second picture?
Scott,
Why, yes it is! I chopped the legs off of the seat that Cold River Bob graciously gave me. Strictly a temporary solution, eventually I'll make that combo seat/portage yoke from carbon over foam, but that seat from Bob gets me out on the water.
Here's a not so clear photo...

Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #171
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Looks great!

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote