Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
hman

Suggestions?

I work in the Defense Industry and Sequestration has left me with a very shaky employment situation. I usually travel for my backpacking trips, but the next bunch will have to be local "weekenders" as I'm not comfortable spending money on plane tickets, car rentals and final night hotel stays. Plus, there is usually a huge bar bill on those final night stays before flying out. I want to avoid that as well.

I've done less than a dozen trips to the ADKs, but have enjoyed them all. I wish to avoid the wet, boggy, swampy areas that I have encountered in the ADKs in the past.

I have spent more time in the Rockies, Alaska Range and Sierras than I have in my home state of NY and it's time I become familiar with my home turf.

I'm looking for suggestions for both weekend loops and week-long loops.

I enjoy altitude, solitude and the mind clearing effect that a remote place has on a backpacker. The higher, the better. Setting up camp at altitude is always preferable to me.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm not a newbie or a troll. I'm just new to my own backyard.

Thanks in advance,

H
hman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
hman

In addition, I am always looking for good, local people to backpack with.

My backpacking buddies are spread out throughout the country and they can't travel to the ADKs.

I am politically moderate. I love music (mostly classic and indie rock). I love film (it was my original major in college). I love animals. I have 2 Mastiffs, a Lab, a large constricting snake and a bearded dragon. I am into photography. I have two beautiful daughters and a wife who tolerates me. Most important, I love mountains; the bigger, the better.

I also know what I'm doing in the backcountry.

H
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

if your in the adirondacks then every path to a mountain will be wet, boggy swamp land. alright well maybe not every place but ya good luck finding dry hikes, i own waterproof gear and sometimes still manage to get my feet wet.
mmetzgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
madmike

September and October are your months.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

One thing to keep in mind about the Adirondacks: Because there are so few areas with alpine vegetation, and because that vegetation is extremely sensitive to camping impacts, camping is restricted at higher elevations in the Adirondacks. Above 4,000 feet it is banned completely. Between 3,500 feet and 4,000 feet, it's permitted only at designated tent sites, of which there are only a handful.

But, IMO, your being forced to stay in NYS is a good thing. In traveling to so many "higher profile" destinations out west, you've missed out on what is one the greatest areas of backcountry in the US. Remember, the Adirondack park is the largest park in the contiguous US- larger than Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountain National Parks combined. It also has the biggest network of hiking and backpacking trails in any one single location in the world, with over 2,000 miles of trails. On top of that, the Adirondack Park is one of only 2 constitutionally protected parks in the world- that is, the protections for the forest preserve within the Adirondacks are written into the NYS constitution (the other such park is the Catskill State Park, also in the US).

The High Peaks probably offer the terrain you're looking for. But... it's also an incredibly high use area. Other places, like the West Canada Lakes, or the Siamese Ponds will better provide you with the solitude you seek.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hman View Post
I've done less than a dozen trips to the ADKs, but have enjoyed them all. I wish to avoid the wet, boggy, swampy areas that I have encountered in the ADKs in the past.
Ah, but you have enjoyed the wet, boggy, swampy areas? Of course you can - it doesn't mean that you have to get yourself wet. As DSettahr mentions, there is an incredible diversity of terrain and wildlife in the Adirondack "lowlands" to experience, where you can find remote wilderness quite unlike what you have experienced in the Rockies. And getting a damp foot every now and then doesn't hurt very much anyway. I think it is a fair trade...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

It may not have the elevation you're looking for, but other than the trail to Pharaoh Lake from Beaver Pond Road most of the trails in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness usually stay pretty dry....

Last edited by Justin; 04-06-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
rADK

I think I'd love the Sierras and Rockies for the same reasons as you, but don't see the same appeal with the Adirondack High Peaks (essentially, Mt Marcy/Colden Lake areas and nearby peaks) which is why I've avoided them in the summer. Crowds, restrictions, full parking lots, sharing lean-tos, no fires, stay on trail, Rangers supervising...Yay for "wilderness." Might be better off with areas like five ponds, and West Canadian and Siamese like Dsettahr mentioned. If you do find a combination of both altitude and solitude it probably won't be from a specific online recommendation, sorta like a good fishing hole.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
JimB

I also go to the mountains for solitude and mind clearing. One thing that has worked for me is to go to off the main drag locations during the week. I've done many trips without seeing others or only other like minded people. Some examples are Haystack/Panther Gorge on a Monday in October or the Seward Range/Santononis/Dixes during any weekdays. It may be hard to get time off during the week but it sure is a lot better time for me to be out there. Also the trips I've mentioned start from Upper Works area, Seward trailhead or Elk Lake. These places tend to be less circus like and are gateways to less heavily traveled ranges.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
DuctTape
Out of Shape

You certainly came to the right place to ask. I see you have been a member for a while too. Anyway, there are countless opportunities in the Adks to find what you are looking for. Though almost all will have least one wet spot to interrupt the dry walk. There are also quite a few people here I have hiked with. I am always willing to hike with others. See you on the trail! I sent you a PM with some specific suggestions as to loops to try.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
hman

Thanks, everyone.

Your words have given me a place to start and I've been doing a lot more reading.

I was looking at some of the photos posted and there is some real beauty in the ADKs. The photos are also giving me some ideas.

I'm starting to see the wetness differently. It's better than Grizzlies!

H