Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
AxCxNJ

rogers rock campground off season?

myself and some friends are looking to go up to lake george to do some rock climbing this weekend. we were hoping to camp at rogers rock campground, but I know that the grounds are currently out of season and closed. I couldnt find any info as to off season access. Ive called the campground and regional office as well with no answers/replies.

Is access to the campground restricted in the off season? or is it just gated off so that you have to park elsewhere and there are no ammenities.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
AxCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

You might want to try contacting the local Rangers:

Mark St.Claire - Ticonderoga - Essex & Warren County 518-335-3681

Rick Schroeder - Bolton Landing - Essex & Warren County 518-644-9564,
Cell: 518-335-3888
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
AxCxNJ

thanks for the info! ill give them a call and see whats up.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It varies from campground to campground. Some campgrounds revert to "primitive" camping regulations during the off season- i.e., you can camp there as long as you follow the same regulations for backcountry camping (3 night stay, max overnight group of 9, etc). Some are permit camping only, so you need to contact a ranger and get a permit. Other campgrounds are closed completely and off-limits to camping entirely.

Unfortunately, the DEC does not publish a list of which campgrounds fall into which category. Your best bet is to contact the regional headquarters in Ray Brook directly and ask.

Last edited by DSettahr; 04-02-2013 at 10:03 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
AxCxNJ

it seems like nobody likes to pick up their phones or return messages lol.

in the event that the campsite is totally closed off, where would the closest access to primitive camping be? Ive spent most of my ADK time in the high peaks, so i dont know this area very well.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Where are you planning to climb? If it's on state land, why not just camp out near there? As long as you follow the overnight use regulations (150 foot rule, max group size of 8 in wilderness areas, 9 in wild forests), and clean up after yourselves, you'll be fine.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
AxCxNJ

rogers slide. thats why rogers rock is prettymuch ideal, because we have to launch our kayaks.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxCxNJ View Post
rogers slide. thats why rogers rock is prettymuch ideal, because we have to launch our kayaks.
There is state land across the road from the campground, that is part of the Lake George Wild Forest. All you'd have to do is find someplace to park off the road, walk 150 feet into the woods, and find a suitable spot that is away from any trails or water.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
AxCxNJ

well..that sounds like a good plan B! thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
peskypup

This may be too late to be of any use, but the lake side of Rogers Rock is not gated or otherwise blocked in the off-season. Campground roads do double-duty in the winter as Warren Country X-Country Trails, and the main gate area and road down to the boat launch are plowed and accessible year round. Even without snow, many people (including my husband and I) use the campground for walking in the off-season. That all said, I don't know what the policy is for overnight camping. There seems to be a Ranger living on-site year round, so I'd stop there on your way in and ask. Even if you can't camp overnight, I'd think you'd at least be able to park.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote