Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #61
Tug Hill
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I understand how our structure works - I think you missed my point



But in essence, who do we really lease the land from? Who is the county?

And I saw it incorrectly stated earlier that towns and school districts lose this revenue if the state owns the land, that is not the case.

From an environmental standpoint, if you think that this land will be better off as working forest rather than forest preserve, I think you really ought to step off of Tug Hill and look at our national, and global situation.
I think you should “step off “from your imagined high horse, and not try to stereotype people on this site because of their user name. So if the state purchases the Whitney Property, that will somehow change national and global situations ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 PM   #62
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
I think you should “step off “from your imagined high horse, and not try to stereotype people on this site because of their user name. So if the state purchases the Whitney Property, that will somehow change national and global situations ?
I don't know?

But I know we don't need any more "working forests" in NY state. Plenty of the state is already deforested, could be re-forested for future timber, and there are already hundreds of "working forests".

If you don't know what I mean by "national and global" situations, you ought to really do some study on our current environmental issues, both on a smaller scale that you can see and a larger scale which you cannot easily see.

And try not to have such thin skin - it wasn't an attack on you. Your s/n is Tug Hill - it was tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by montcalm; 08-24-2020 at 08:05 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #63
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread
 
stripperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
My guess is the Nature Conservancy will purchase the property, sell a Conservation easement to the state securing certain rights to the public. Then TNC will sell it to a TIMO, timber investment management Organization, and most of the property will remain private property, and a working forest. The easement will protect certain camps and other improvements, and others will be torn down. Any hunt clubs will lose their exclusivity, but be able to lease their existing camps and a small envelope surrounding it.
One can only hope...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #64
St.Regis
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,389
montcalm, the State has a deforestation program. Check out DEC's "young forest initiative". DEC land managers in central NY are loving the concept of creating grassland bird habitat from wooded land. Commenting on their plans might be another place for you to grind your ax

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...l37bv0SVuZHaM3
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #65
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
montcalm, the State has a deforestation program. Check out DEC's "young forest initiative". DEC land managers in central NY are loving the concept of creating grassland bird habitat from wooded land. Commenting on their plans might be another place for you to grind your ax

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...l37bv0SVuZHaM3
Oh i'm very well aware of this, and it's very small areas of clear cut. I've actually been to see them. I found this fawn hiding among the fresh cut maple:



This has been done in other areas as well, particularly close to Lake Ontario to increase bird habitat. I believe the idea of this kind of thing is displacement - trying to make up for habitat destruction in other areas by creating artificial ones.

Most of CNY has little use for open field, the issue then is that it does not usually grow back to forest. Disturbances like this are what usually give way to White Pine stands. Large areas are really not that common though.

Also note this is a WMA (Wildlife Management Area) strategy mainly to please sportsmen. It has nothing to do with what is an ecologically proper forest architecture. The majority of NYS land IS NOT WMA.

I understand modern forestry is harvesting based on understanding of forest cycles and forest growth, but in no way is this "forest preserve". Despite all the superior wisdom I hear on this forum about our forest preserve, I've yet to hear anyone really comment on the positive impacts and what it means to move to back to a natural habitat some 300+ years after logging when seed trees have died off and we revert back to a natural cycle.

Last edited by montcalm; 08-24-2020 at 10:34 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #66
forest dweller
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
My guess is the Nature Conservancy will purchase the property, sell a Conservation easement to the state securing certain rights to the public. Then TNC will sell it to a TIMO, timber investment management Organization, and most of the property will remain private property, and a working forest. The easement will protect certain camps and other improvements, and others will be torn down. Any hunt clubs will lose their exclusivity, but be able to lease their existing camps and a small envelope surrounding it.
Can someone tell me if this has ever happened once the Nature Conservancy has purchased the land? Because it seems that once they buy it they hold out for putting it in the best hands possible - New York State...to be added to the forest preserve.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #67
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight
 
bobrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3 hrs, 15 min west of heaven
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Can someone tell me if this has ever happened once the Nature Conservancy has purchased the land? Because it seems that once they buy it they hold out for putting it in the best hands possible - New York State...to be added to the forest preserve.
It has. A few years after the Finch sale our club lease property was resold to two separate entities. About half was purchased by a Danish investment group and is being managed by a Georgia based lumber company. The other part was sold to 2 local individuals (private investors). All leases are still in effect, as well as some very active logging.
__________________
Five Thousand Acres of Peace & Serenity
Far from the Hubbub of the High Peaks.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 AM   #68
DuctTape
Out of Shape
 
DuctTape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,876
Leases continue to term if any property is sold.
__________________
"There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.