Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Tioga Point Campground Closed

I just received an email and a voicemail that my annual trip to Tioga Point with friends and family this year has been canceled, and will be closed through the end of the 2024 season.

Quote:
Please be advised: The campground, boat docks, and surrounding facility are being closed out of an abundance of caution for public safety. The facility will be close for the 2022 season and through the end of the 2024 season. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 518-457-2500. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but appreciate your understanding.
I saw on facebook that it is a safety issue with cables in the lake.
Link to the DEC webpage: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24499...02024%20season
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
madison

That's a bummer that your reservation got cancelled. It seems strange to me that the state wouldn't prioritize fixing this issue. You'd think that an exposed electrical cable in the water would get moved to the top of the list.

Not sure when you were going but Forked lake just to the north often has some sites available, unlike most of the boat-in only campgrounds. There are also some pretty good 1st come sites on Raquette; I've always found sites available on Big Island when I've gone, but that's usually been mid-week.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
That's a bummer that your reservation got cancelled. It seems strange to me that the state wouldn't prioritize fixing this issue. You'd think that an exposed electrical cable in the water would get moved to the top of the list.
If it is indeed an issue with the electrical cables across the bottom of the lake, then the timeline for repairs was probably set by the electric utility, not the state.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
If it is indeed an issue with the electrical cables across the bottom of the lake, then the timeline for repairs was probably set by the electric utility, not the state.
Yes. This is exactly what I was told when I called the number given in the link above. Quote: We (DEC) have no clue but you can call National Grid and ask them. I gave up after 15 minutes. From what I?ve gathered so far, it?s only referred to Tioga Point, which is State (DEC) owned, and doesn?t affect any other state owned land (or private land) around the lake, only Tioga Point. Which is kinda weird. Why should it take 3 years to replace a power cable that controls one tiny little DEC ranger outpost lodge (hut) so they can have their internet, night light, and one power outlet on the side of the building. Seems odd. Lots of chitter chatter about this also on some facebook pages too..

Last edited by Justin; 04-27-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Old 04-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Wouldn't that make it easier to net the fish?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
OntarioSkiBum

How much would you like to bet that they won't close the boys camp for rich kids across the bay?
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:30 PM   #7
madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
How much would you like to bet that they won't close the boys camp for rich kids across the bay?
I definitely wouldn't take that bet.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
From what I was told when I called the number in the link, it?s only applied to Tioga point, and does not affect any of the other state owned land or private camps around the lake.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
gene43t

National Grid will probably be contracting this work out. Currently the construction industry is very busy; they may be having trouble getting a contractor lined up and/or getting materials.
gene43t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
mike7575

If the wire runs under the lake wouldn't there be a dissconnect at pole or box they fed it from? Couldn't the DEC hook-up a portable generator big enough for the office to funtion? If its going to be awhile that would be reasonable.
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

While possible, it's unlikely that there is a single wire that feeds only the campground. More likely it's part of a longer network of single and possibly even three phase that feeds any number of private camps elsewhere on the lake. To disconnect the campground might mean also disconnecting any number of additional customers.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #12
DuctTape
Out of Shape

So National Grid is aware their power lines are discharging in the lake, thus when someone is injured due to the electrical current National Grid can be held liable for the injury as it is a foreseeable result of their negligence to repair.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

I remember chatting with the AFR caretaker last year (not meantioning names) and they did mention how some people could feel a slight tingle in the water when swimming off the dock near the check-in cabin. I am guessing it might be more than a tingle now, and/or will become more dangerous as we wait 3+ years for this to get resolved.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:31 AM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Update:
I received a voicemail saying the emergency repair work at the Tioga Point Campground facility has been completed, and will be open for the 2022 season. Those who had reservations canceled for this season can have them reinstated by calling 1-800-777-9644 by 5pm, May 23.

Can anyone else confirm if this is true?
DEC website still says closed.

Last edited by Justin; 05-20-2022 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-21-2022, 12:49 AM   #15
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Can't confirm, but there was supposed to be 'emergency' work done on it last week:
"Paventi said the town of Long Lake, where Raquette Lake is located, has alerted residents to next week’s work and are strongly discouraging boaters from going on the lake during that time to prevent wakes and waves as the team completes the repairs."
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...int-campground

National Grid must think it's fixed for now...
Old 05-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Ghost. I called the number and was able reinstate my reservation for our upcoming trip in a couple weeks. I also spoke with the AFR who said to check the DEC website next week for an update.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #17
DuctTape
Out of Shape

So during a swim, no more tingle on your dingle?

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Hahaha I guess that depends on who you are swimming with.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:01 AM   #19
Justin
Moving along

DEC has updated their webpage:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24499.html
Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #20
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If you keep your dingle safely packed away, no harm will come to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG;
extensive testing determined the stray voltage is now ?below the safety threshold.