Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Bkgphoto

Father daughter recommendation

My 15 year old daughter and I are both new to paddling and looking for a 2 night 3 day trip. We will be using kayaks me in an old town loon and her in a wilderness Pungo. Both are 12 Models. Something fairly remote or at least something without motor boat traffic and not too much wind. Equipment is all light weight backpacking gear and Id like to have little to no portages because of the boat sizes. I have also ordered the guide book and map from St Regis. The trip will be in mid July Monday thru Wednesday.
Bkgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
TrailBlaser

I would suggest the Bog River Flow/Lows Lake. When my daughter was 7, I paddled her there in my solo canoe for a 5 day stay. She sat on a cushion on the floor of the canoe in front of me as we made the trip. She is now 23 and remembering the trip, asked to make the trip again with me this summer. The access is easy, there is one short, easy carry around the upper dam and a short drag around the edge of a floating bog on the upper river. There are many nice, primitive sites scattered around the lake. A hike to the top of Hitchins Pond Overlook from the upper dam and up Grass Pond Mountain will give you nice views on a clear day. Other hiking trails are accessible from the western end of Lows Lake.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
VTskier

I'd recommend Floodwood Pond. Many camptsites, there's the St Regis Outfitters outpost store at the putin for some supplies if needed, no portaging to get to you campsites.

Then you can paddle day trips down Fish Creek, explore some ponds that connect to it, you can do a short portage over to Follensby Clear Pond & explore it. You could also go down Fish Creek to Copperas Pond, then portage to Whey Pond, then a very short portage to Rollins Pond and then paddle back into Floodwood.
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Swamp Booger

While both of the above suggestions are good, be aware that wind can be an issue on Lowes Lake and you may hear shooting at the boy scout camp. Floodwood Pond and surrounding waters see a lot of traffic during the summer due to accessibility and the nearby state campgrounds.
For a more remote 2 night trip without carries or wind issues I would suggest the Oswegatchie River from Inlet to High Falls. Takes most folks 2 days to reach High Falls and 1 day to return. While it's a popular trip, you are not likely to see the numbers of fellow paddlers that you will likely see in the Floodwood Pond area. While you may encounter a few beaver dams and blow downs, they needn't block your progress.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
webby459

Swamp Booger and others. You mention "While you may encounter a few beaver dams and blow downs, they needn't block your progress." I haven't been there but it's on the list, I've heard talk that there can be like 40 beaver dams or other crossings where you have to scoot the boat, elsewhere I've heard like what you say there's a few. Understanding that I'm sure it's water level dependent, is the very high number likely just exaggeration? We have really heavy boats (old consumer grade Indian River and Old Town) and if everyone in the family goes we'd need both, so a bunch of drags will be time consuming and wear me out. Other hand, it sounds like a great trip.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

If you can lug your boats just 0.3 miles, you can spend some time at Long Pond. It's wind protected, has a water access only trailhead for Long Pond Mt, and a couple more ponds attached or a stones throw away (literally). The carry trail is an old road, so wheels work well if you have them. It's all wilderness, and midweek you'll see very few others.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
bluequill

I would second Stripperg's suggestion. Your boats are heavy but St Regis Outfitters can rent you a set of wheels for $5/ day. SRO is located on Floodwood Road about a half mile before the Long Pond parking area. Give them a call first to make sure they will have a set for you.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
Swamp Booger

webby459 What you have heard regarding 40 beaver dams would probably be in reference to the great number of them above High Falls. I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding is that it is one beaver dam after another above the falls. My experience below the falls is that there are less than 5.
I also agree with the others concerning Long Pond. If you can do the easy carry, there is more than enough for a couple days to explore and you can stay both nights in the same campsite.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
TrailBlaser

Most of the beaver dams on the Oswegatchie are above the falls. It's a great trip but as was said, most people take 2 days to get to the falls. If that's going to be your destination on the Oswegatchie, consider whether you're ok with setting up camp a couple of times or would rather have a destination that is a one day paddle, setup camp once and venture forth from there. Another possibility is Little Tupper/Rock Pond and Round Lake.

Last edited by TrailBlaser; 06-25-2019 at 05:58 AM..
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
Buckladd

Cedar River Flow early in the week s/b great! I saw a moose there in July two years ago. There are tent sites along the shore, but if you can find the mouth of the river and it is not occupied, you could camp in the lean-to on the N/P trail.