Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

The 0 Challenge -- a new 46r's afterthoughts

On October 9th 2004 I summited Tabletop and then Phelps to complete my 46th of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks.

I estimated I've climbed close to 250 miles (maybe more) between my casual hiking (like the Lake George area, and the Gorge in Penssylvania) to the 40 of the 46 peaks I climbed over the past 10 months and 9 days.

I have some afterthoughts and will eventually be formulating my own list of 46 peak difficulty and views ratings. I need to hold off on a decisive list because Allen, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolfjaw, East Dix, and Porter were all socked in with clouds when I hiked them (actually, it was snowing on Porter on New Years Day when I climbed it). But here are tentative rankings based on the 40 peaks I did have good views from.

Hardest overall ascent (of a single peak):

Allen (mostly due to the distance)
Haystack

Steepest climb:

Saddleback (coming from Basin)

Best views (in no particular order):

Pyramid (sub-peak of Gothics)
Colden
Haystack
Marcy
Algonquin
Sawteeth 'scenic trail'

Hardest Dayhike:

Seward range (4 peaks, 16.5 hours, 18.5 miles, 5,000+ feet total ascent)
Santanoni range
Allen

Favorite Hike:

Marshall (up Herbert Brook)
Giant
Rocky Ridge Peak (traverse)

Least Favorite Hike and/or Summit:

Couchsachraga
Blake
Cliff

2 peaks remain with 13 weeks to hike them.

[While I'm in no hurry to finish them, I also like the challenge of completing these on the weekends over the course of the next 26 weeks...]

Remaining:

Phelps
Tabletop

Last edited by Kevin; 10-10-2004 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: updating as I climb them
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
hillman1
skiing demi-god

If you want to dayhike donaldson and emmons this saturday, I'm either going to be there or around the garden. But if I can get someone for that one , I'd rather get that out of the way. From calkins brook.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I'm not very familiar with the Sewards (did find the approximate paths off the trail between Blueberry Pond and Ward Brook lean-tos). According to adirondack journey I would take the road that the horse trail and BBP trail intersect and catch an unmarked path up from there...

It would an interesting day, as once up there I'd finish Seward, then probably climb down and do Seymour before heading out...

Too much in a day? I could always break at one of the lean-tos, or even pack my fleece sleeping bag if I'm too tired to hike out...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm trying to convince my friend Jen to go, it would be her first trip into the high peaks. Doing the peaks from calkins brook(which I've only done in winter) kind of screws with doing the seward section, as carrying extra gear for an overnight is kind of unreasonable. I know that a return trip in for seymour is an easy dayhike. If you're interested, let me know. I hope to drive up friday night and crash in my car, then start @7am(approximately). This will be my fourth trip into the sewards, and my 1st time out to emmons.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

I could get there by 7:00AM and sleep in my own bed, thanks

I was only thinking about bringing the extra sleeping bag and wearing a headnet if I have to sleep in the lean-to. I always bring a reserve of food, headlamp, and filter, so I wouldn't starve or dehydrate. Likely that I can do all 4, I've been impressing myself with my stubborness when I have peaks in my sights. lol

It sounds like fun and a challenge I'd be up-for. Let me know as the weekend nears what your final plans are.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Curious, anyone have experience hiking Phelps and Tabletop across that ridge between them? I plotted a course on my topo and uploaded the route to my GPS, so I'm thinking of trying it...
Old 06-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Curious, anyone have experience hiking Phelps and Tabletop across that ridge between them? I plotted a course on my topo and uploaded the route to my GPS, so I'm thinking of trying it...
Never done it myself but friends have and said it was very thick with no herd paths. Timewise it would be better to go down Tabletop and up the Phelps Mt. trail (or vice versa).
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm going no matter what, but if my friend goes, she might also want to try and go over seward, I'll try and talk her into it anyway. I've convinced her to hike the presidential range in NH as dayhike on 7-31. I don't know if she really gets how big mtns are here in the NE. That way she'll be a 3er in NY, and then a 9er in NH. So I'll be in the parking area(summer trailhead) at 7am. I'll hang out if you might be late. Looking forward to meeting you. Just so you know, if she goes(and it's looking that way)--she won't be super fast, but she runs 5 miles a day, so I really don't know, but I would like to let her set a pace as to not discourage her from hiking. This will be 44 for me(emmons), my 3rd time on donaldson, and a possible 2nd on seward(which kicked my arse last time we met...).
Old 06-28-2004, 05:37 PM   #9
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1889
Timewise it would be better to go down Tabletop and up the Phelps Mt. trail (or vice versa).
I was thinking climb Phelps first, then head over to tabletop, then down the path there back to the marcy trail.

I'm up for the challenge, and it's not too awefully remote or steep, so I can always bail down the west side of the ridge to the marcy trail.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1
I'm going no matter what, but if my friend goes, she might also want to try and go over seward, I'll try and talk her into it anyway. I've convinced her to hike the presidential range in NH as dayhike on 7-31. I don't know if she really gets how big mtns are here in the NE. That way she'll be a 3er in NY, and then a 9er in NH. So I'll be in the parking area(summer trailhead) at 7am. I'll hang out if you might be late. Looking forward to meeting you. Just so you know, if she goes(and it's looking that way)--she won't be super fast, but she runs 5 miles a day, so I really don't know, but I would like to let her set a pace as to not discourage her from hiking. This will be 44 for me(emmons), my 3rd time on donaldson, and a possible 2nd on seward(which kicked my arse last time we met...).
Sounds great, then it's a plan! I will try to be there early. 4:15AM departure from Albany should put me there around 6:30. Then if there are any bathroom breaks along the way I won't be late (which almost happened the first time I met someone up there! lol ).
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet
Likes to hike

Wow, if you can get to the trailhead for Sewards in 2 hours 15 minutes from Albany, I would be surprised.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #12
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
Wow, if you can get to the trailhead for Sewards in 2 hours 15 minutes from Albany, I would be surprised.
You're right, I'll probably be there closer to 7AM, I forget it's about 30+ minutes from 87... 4AM departure it is!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #13
trailhed

I live in Schenectady and plan around 3 hours to get to the Coreys. It's quite a day for me, 3 hour drive, 12+ hours of hiking, 3 hour drive to get home.
If you do go up Seymour it's easier to go out on the slide when possible and then rejoining the herd path at the top of the slide. The blowdown on the herd path was particularly challenging, especially with a dog on a leash.
trailhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Mavs00
I am the sith

Not to Pooh-pooh anyones parade

Don't underestimate the Sewards. Kevin, S-D-E is about 10-12 hour day from the trailhead alone. Figure 3 hours Round Trip from Ward Brook LT to do Seymour. Your talking 15-16 hours easy for the whole range. It's way harder than the Dix's, and Santanoni's. If you plan on doing it all in one shot, plan on spending the night out there. It's not the vertical or distance, it's the friggen remoteness of the trail.

You may be able to do it, but you ain't gonna enjoy it

Also, since you did that recent Haystack, Basin, Saddleback trip (a tough one), you could probably add Colden on to the Phelps, Tabletop trip. It's all on easy trail, even tabletop, so you'd be able to move pretty quick and fit all three in a day. Just scoot over the crossover trail from Indian Falls to Lake Arnold and bag Colden, then head down and back out Lake Arnold Avalance Camp. It would add about 2.5-3 hours onto an otherwise cheesy 8 hour day . Three great peaks too.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Also, since you did that recent Haystack, Basin, Saddleback trip (a tough one), you could probably add Colden on to the Phelps, Tabletop trip. It's all on easy trail, even tabletop, so you'd be able to move pretty quick and fit all three in a day. Just scoot over the crossover trail from Indian Falls to Lake Arnold and bag Colden, then head down and back out Lake Arnold Avalance Camp. It would add about 2.5-3 hours onto an otherwise cheesy 8 hour day . Three great peaks too.
Thanks for the tip Tim!

If I'm not up for Seymour after the first 3 then I'll just come back another time. I'll be bringing my sleeping bag as backup just in case, so no biggie if I bite off more than I can chew and have to crash. Only concern would be the weather turning bad as it's expected to rain/storm Sunday and I really should 'get out' Saturday unless I want to haul rain gear as well, and then we're talking too much weight!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #16
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Dayhiking all four sewards is definitely out of my hiking realm of reality. My first trip there was in winter for donaldson and emmons(calkins brook winter variation--a flagged winter route 1 mile before calkins brook). Didn't make it to emmons, not broken out and couldn't find the herd path. Second trip was seward, with ALG, nearly a nightmare, chossy snow, soaking wet, all the goodness that seward could throw at us. Third trip with Emily from adkforum. A great super fast dayhike that was surprisingly easy. I will stand atop Emmons on saturday sometime between 11 am and 1 pm. I'm hoping for cool breezes and endless views.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #17
Kevin
**BANNED**

As I said hillman, I'll tag along until it's time for you to head back . This will be #44?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:36 PM   #18
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Yeah--this will be 44 for me. Basin and Haystack have so far eluded my grasp. I might dayhike them next week. I might wait and do them the weekend of the 17th to do with ALG. My friend Jen and I need to be back in Oswego by 10 pm saturday, for reasons out of my control, or I would stay the weekend and bag all 4 of the sewards with you. I doubt she will be up for seward after donaldson to emmons, and back up donaldson. But you never really know. Time will be playing a factor in that decision also. By the way--we'll be camping right in the vicinity of my car, which is a blue 4 door subaru legacy, with a rack on top with bungee cords. I believe there is a tent spot near the horse hitch across from the sign in register.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #19
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Hillman1 & Kevin,

Do you guys think I could tag along on Saturday? If so, Kevin, do you want to meat up around exit 17 and car pool to the trailhead?

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #20
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Hillman1 & Kevin,

Do you guys think I could tag along on Saturday? If so, Kevin, do you want to meat up around exit 17 and car pool to the trailhead?
I'll PM you