Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #21
Tug Hill

Aft paddle, I wish it were that simple. The confiscated cameras and treestands are evidence so the DEC will not give them up. Plus you don’t really think these vandals will return to mess with the replaced gates, do you ? The word is out that if they or anyone else who vandalizes property on the easement lands , are caught they will be charged with a felony. And you could probably bet there are cameras on the gates now.

Bottom line the ranger could have given a warning with a time limit for removal of stands and cameras, this would have been a much better long term strategy. Plus there is no evidence that the tree stand and camera owners were the culprits. There were other suspects, but no evidence.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #22
Bunchberry

Depending on how heavy my pack is I might be bringing my trail cam with me on my next backpacking trip. During the day I would point it at my camp when I am out day hiking and at night point it at a likely place looking for animals.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I suppose one reason why a ranger might not give warnings is the probability that the owners would just move the stands or cameras to other disallowed locations, and I doubt the DEC has the people power to spend all the time it would take to keep looking for them. I suppose that also there would be no way to distinguish one tree stand or camera from another, aside from their location, so once they were moved it would be hard for DEC to tell if one found in a new place was a new violation or a relocated one.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #24
Lucky13

When my doctor told me NOT to fall, because at my age the breaks might not heal, and the bruises would definitely persist longer and hurt more, I decided that any hunting I would do would be from the ground. But I believe a tree stand left unoccupied has to carry the name and address of the owner, so if these were left and unlabeled, they would be like any other abandoned property, subject to confiscation. If the trail cams were well placed and hidden, the warden had to do a bit of hunting to find them. I am a life member of one of the largest leasers on the Tug Hill and we are constantly dealing with trespassers who think nothing of running around gates, damaging or destroying them, etc, there is a certain element on the Hill that thinks all land is open to them, and to hell with the signs or the laws. These stands may well have still been in use as the season is also looked at by many on the Hill as only applying to flat landers, and the myth of needing to feed the family on deer to deal with economic hardship persists in local legend even when the poacher is driving a better vehicle than the Warden. If you own a stand and a trail camera, you know when the season was over, and you know to retrieve your " stuff" especially there, where it may be buried under 6 feet of snow soon after the close, so if it was still out there, I would call that evidence of intent to hunt out of season. Kind of like, don't show up in body armor and a riot helmet with a backpack of frozen water bottles and try to convince someone you are a "peaceful protester."
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #25
Tug Hill

Lucky, what the heck are you talking about ? If in fact you are a lessee on Tug Hill member then you should know, with 6 feet of snow, the deer are in the yards. Where this incident occurred, the deer do not yard there, so it was not to hunt after season. The tree stands had been there for years because they were on private leases.

This incident was on private land that just recently had the conservation easement kick in , in full . It had been privately leased for decades. Although I am not defending the owners of the treestands and cameras, for they were warned by the property managers that things were to change. I guess they just didn’t think that someone would pass GPS locations to the ranger.

All I saying, if the ranger would have handled this the way his superior told him to, it would have saved the DEC, property owners and management personnel, and NY tax payers, much money and grief.

A warning to remove would have went a long way to improve public relations on this property, since many lessees were already upset that they lost their decades long exclusivity. I try to think that one of purposes of the DEC Rangers is to promote and encourage people to recreate in the outdoors of NY. If it is just to be hard a$$e$ and ticket so people can be fined, then they are nothing more than revenuers ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #26
tgoodwin

TCD, I agree that the geocaching exception appears to be inconsistent with the call to remove the canisters from the 4,000-foot peaks without formally designated trails. Rangers have also removed registers placed on some of the 100 Highest.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #27
St.Regis

Why are Rangers removing the registers?
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote