Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Anyone have a Black Fly update for John Brooks area. Wistful wishful thinking of early next week (5/18). Thank you.
They are waiting for fresh blood
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #22
Hoser

They are timed with the PAUSE relief.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #23
Schip

Black flies on the Powley-Piseco Rd weren't too bad. Swarming a bit, but not biting. They weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Kathy
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #24
nickUSA

Long hike today on the NPT out of Averyville Road - bugs were not much a bother at all.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...020#post506492
nickUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Black Flies were fantastic in the Pharaoh’s last weekend and getting even better as the days got warmer. Kinda just like every year around this time. Hooray bug season!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #26
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Justin time for bug repellant.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #27
kwc
loser

No bugs on the trail to Murphy Lake on Tuesday or on the trail to Wilcox Lake today. Black flies were swarming but not biting while I was at both lakes.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #28
otterbrookie

Black flies in Thendara/Old Forge

Can any tell me if the black flies are bad in the Old Forge and Thendara area? We are hoping to take a trip soon to ride bikes on the Tobie Trail.
otterbrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #29
Wldrns

I am at my camp not far from Old Forge today. I just went for a 15 mile bike ride. Not any problem if you can ride faster than 5mph. Wear eye glasses. Actually other than a lot of obnoxious non-biting swarmers mixed with a very few pesky biters, the past few days have not been bad at all working on outdoor projects.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #30
Hoser

They have been out after 6pm last week or so here in the SW adks. Not over bad, ok to manage w/ deet. After this morning's rain however, its suddenly mosquito season! Remaining optimistic, especially compared to last summer, as its been really dry in Herkimer and Hamilton counties this Spring.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #31
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

I climbed First, Second, and Third Brother Mountains near Brant Lake on Sunday. The Black Flies were swarming and biting.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #32
Wldrns

The black flies remained moderately aggressive, biters and non for the past week. Then this morning (27May), stepping out onto my driveway I was attacked by mosquitoes like almost ever before.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #33
tenderfoot

So next week's weather report says lows in 30's and highs in 50's for Keene. From what I am reading that won't really slow the little buggers down? And does elevation help, looking at Big Slide and was thinking a quick climb up the brothers and find a spot below 3500' to string up hammocks overnight.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #34
Dayjon

Anyone been to Little Tupper recently? If so, how was the black fly situation?
Dayjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #35
Woodly

Black Flies are out and biting in Wilmington/Black Brook
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #36
TCD

Keene and North Hudson lately it's been mostly mosquitoes. Last few days there were not many black flies, and thankfully no deer flies (yet).
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #37
dpc34

Those little humming birds have been out in Newcomb...and very blood thirsty...
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #38
Wldrns

I paddled the Follensby Clear Pond loop today, just for fun, 50 degrees and 10mph wind. I had one lonesome mosquito buzz me while I was eating lunch on one of the carries. She shall buzz around anyone no more.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #39
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I paddled the Follensby Clear Pond loop today, just for fun, 50 degrees and 10mph wind. I had one lonesome mosquito buzz me while I was eating lunch on one of the carries. She shall buzz around anyone no more.
That's a great loop.

If you have a mountain bike, you can (legally) ride all around the interior of that paddle. It's mostly an easy ride except for a couple spots that most will want/need to walk.

Having paddled those ponds extensively I enjoyed the alternative perspective.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #40
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
That's a great loop.

If you have a mountain bike, you can (legally) ride all around the interior of that paddle. It's mostly an easy ride except for a couple spots that most will want/need to walk.
I may try that sometime. There is a very rough board bridge on the NWest side of Horseshoe from LPW that looks more like it better belongs on a roller coaster. Needs a lot of work. I looked for a canoe carry on the south end of HS to join the mapped trail there back to Follensby. It apparently does not exist in any obvious sense. I went there today because I am scheduled to guide a beginners group there in a few weeks (maybe) and they need to practice some carries along with navigation.