Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
autochromatica
46R #8475W

Target Shooting for a day near Keene?

Hi all,

A group of 9 of us were wondering if (weather permitting) there was anyplace near Keene to go outdoor target shooting for an afternoon. Not everyone is a hiker, but we would walk/hike to get someplace where we're not bothering anyone. We could bring our own targets. Guns would be a couple rifles, lots of pistols/revolvers, maybe a shotgun (although I don't shoot shotguns so IDK).

We would consider going to a gun club if that offers us the best possibility. (But it would only be a single day, Saturday April 29th, so the fee would have to be reasonable.)

Thanks and feel free to PM me too.

--Sean

* Close to Keene: Anywhere from I-87 up to Saranac Lake, and into Jay/Upper Jay/Wilmington. Within about a half hour of Keene.
autochromatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Buckladd

Check with these guys:

http://www.saranaclakefishandgameclub.net/index.html
Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
autochromatica
46R #8475W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Done! Thanks, I'll let you know if they allow non-members on their shooting range.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Bounder45

You can contact the local gun clubs to see if any of them offer range time for a fee. Some do, some don't.

Alternatively, you do have the option of target shooting on state land in most areas of NY (there are some exceptions, and usually prohibited areas have posted signs). If you go that route, I'd contact the local DEC ECO or Ranger to make sure you're kosher and look for an area off the beaten path with a good backstop.

Also, spring Turkey season is around the corner so you probably would want to do your outing before then (if shooting on state land).
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
autochromatica
46R #8475W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
You can contact the local gun clubs to see if any of them offer range time for a fee. Some do, some don't.

Alternatively, you do have the option of target shooting on state land in most areas of NY (there are some exceptions, and usually prohibited areas have posted signs). If you go that route, I'd contact the local DEC ECO or Ranger to make sure you're kosher and look for an area off the beaten path with a good backstop.

Also, spring Turkey season is around the corner so you probably would want to do your outing before then (if shooting on state land).
Thanks! I'm not having the best luck finding contact info for the hunting clubs up there. If we can't find a range, I'll take your advice on the DEC. (And on the turkeys.)