View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Frankly, IMHO non of the three ranked high in views.
Panther has decent views. Are you sure you made it to the summit?

While Panther certainly is not the same level as Marcy or Algonquin in the view department, it does have a fairly wide and un-interrupted view to the south and southwest:

(In all likelihood, it's more likely that you made it to the view than you did to the summit- and I'm assuming you probably made it to both, I'm just being mildly obnoxious here. Panther is one of those pesky peaks with a solid view a hundred feet or so before an actual summit with little or no views, where many turn around at the view and miss the summit. Grace is another one.)

Quote:
We were out two weeks ago and at 8F my 0F bag was not cutting it. We had additional quiltage that extended us well below 0F and that made it nice.
I've done some research on the ISO standard that is used by many companies to rate their sleeping bags and have learned a few things that for some reason aren't widely advertised- all of which fits in with my narrative above about why you generally want a bag that is rated to 10 degrees colder than the coldest anticipated conditions.

There's 4 big assumptions that are made with the ISO rating system:
  • That the occupant is wearing full long underwear (tops and bottoms)
  • That the sleeping bag is paired with a 4 season pad with an R-Value of 4.8 (this is true even of bags rated to warmer summer temps)
  • If the occupant is male, there is an assumption that they are sleeping in a curled, fetal position
  • If the occupant is male, there is an assumption that in spite of all of the above, they are still experiencing some discomfort at the given "limit" rating (which is the listed temperature rating that is most often equated with the "men's rating")
Women have it a little bit easier- the "comfort" rating (which is most often equated with a "women's rating") assumes that the female occupant is sleeping in a relaxed position and is perfectly comfortable.

Quote:
maybe not the best trip for a whisper-light stove with all of the fiddly bits
I'm curious what you would view as a decent alternative. Whisperlites do have fiddly bits but as white gas stoves they are hands down one of the more reliable stoves for cold weather backpacking. My personal preference is the Dragonfly- which is admittedly one of the heaviest and bulkiest backpacking stoves out there but it's super reliable in any temperature and simmers well (which the Whisperlite is not great at). For shoulder season conditions or relatively mild winter conditions to save on some weight and bulk I'll carry an MSR Windpro 2, which has a remote invertible canister that can extend the usable temperature range a bit (although in inverted canister mode this stove does not simmer that well either, I've noticed).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote