View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #19
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
With 46 sites, some of them little used, I don't doubt that it's been an ongoing effort to keep them all marked. In addition to signs falling down on their own as they age (and the tree grows out and around the nails), I'm sure that a few folks over the years have also purposefully taken down the signs for their "favorite campsite," so as to discourage others from finding and using it- a problem that I've witnessed elsewhere in the Adirondacks.

In any case, though, it seems like it's time for another enterprising DEC employee to head back with the objective of once again trying to re-mark them all.

It's sort of coincidentally funny that the count ended up at 46- sort of makes me want to become an "Oswegatchie 46er," by spending a night in each campsite on the river. Since the lean-tos are counted among the numbered sites, that puts me at 6 down, 40 to go. (41 to go if we're counting the two High Rock sites separately.)
I think "Oswegatchie '46er" is a great idea. I plan to paddle it again this season and will be making note of how many of the sites I stayed at over the years. I had favorites I stayed at more frequently for various reasons and still think of going back to them in the future. Thanks again for a great report and photos.