View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #25
twh4

Lows/Oswegatchie

Wldrns,

Yes I know that BF season varies year to year. I, like many others, hate being in large crowds. Not a city boy by any means. The ADKs get hammered with tourists right after BF season so I ALWAYS make sure that we get up there at least twice in June before the swarms of people come.

This will sound weird, but I always get a grin on my face when I hop out of my truck at the campground and get the swarm of flies. Why? Simple. More flies = less people. I usually go up the 2nd week and last week of June and both are great. Head net a must usually 2nd week but by the 3rd week they are usually subsided. My experience is that they are heaviest late May to early June.

So yes, there were BFs along the trail but with a good head net and long sleeves it was a very enjoyable hike. The wind on the lake and river kept the flies at bay.

Wldrns, that is a very good point with the wind. A general rule of thumb I have for Lows is stick to the north side of the lake on the the way out (western bound) and stick to the southern side of the lake on the way back to ride the waves and for a tail wind.

The islands are a life saver with the wind and that 300 yard portage is great! I didn't see it on the map and thought that we were headed around an island and was happily surprised when I came to the end of the cove and saw a trail! I never saw that cabin but I believe ya! But my point was, it is a very primitive,remote, and quite place to enjoy the wilderness.

The trail to me was better than a lot of the trails I hike regularly. My girlfriend and I had no problem leaving all of our stuff in the kayak and making the portage. Only one tip over when I made a turn too sharp and hit a root. I believe that most anyone can do it with a kayak cart and an idea that the hike wont be a walk in the park.

Yes it did rain on the first night but we planned going around the water level. Most of the dams could be slammed through because of previous people ramming them. Don't let the dams scare you away. Like Wldrns said, it is just part of the experience.

Dawn is very nice we talked for about a half hour floating around the lake and she told us what sites had already been taken and which would be good to stay at. You are correct, have a license! She didn't ask for ours however even though we both had rods in our rod holders but it is always good to follow the law and the license helps fund the beautiful land you are enjoying! So what I am saying is talk to her! She wants to help and make your trip great! She is very nice. We offered her some snacks and gave her an extra head lamp we brought along. She appreciated it.

I didn't mention compass and map as I thought they were just a gimme. My watch has a compass that I rely on most times but we have my old boy scouts one in the first aid and have a few others packed with us. I printed out as many maps as I could find on big paper (11x17 or "b" sized paper) and put them in big zip-lock bag. I had one that showed the campsites, one that showed the trail, one that showed sites along river, one that showed elevation and water depth (for fishing and hiking around lake) and then just an old style map with everything. You can find them online with a quick google search for free. I also keep the maps on my phone as pictures and pdfs in case GPS is lost or papers get wet.

I use my GPS mainly as a tracking device for the trip. It gives me average speed and distance traveled which I like to know. It also gives me weather alerts.

So yes you are right, be prepared and don't just bring one method of navigation. You will regret it. I guarantee it.

Thanks Wldrns for your wisdom and for mentioning things I forgot. It is a very memorable trip and not one to pass up! Enjoy the great outdoors!
twh4 is offline   Reply With Quote