View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
It's astonishing that National Geographic's map still contains outdated info on the Cascade Lake trailhead, considering the newer TH has been around for at least a decade (going by CNY Hiking's info that was based on an outing from the end of 2009).
My general experience with the Nat Geo maps has been that they are good but not great- for a variety of reasons. Part of the issue I think is that the map maker is not local- I want to say that they are based in CO but I'm not 100% sure exactly. In any case, they are relying entirely upon information from secondhand sources when it comes to proofing the maps.

Confounding this issue is the fact that the quality of the DEC's geospatial information (which provides the base upon which the Nat Geo maps were further developed and refined) is... not always as great as you would maybe expect from an environmental agency tasked with managing a 6 million acre park. (Although FWIW is the DECInfo page does correctly show the current location of the Cascade Lake Trailhead.)

Quote:
The Seventh Lake area, with the lakeside shelter and rock, instantly reminded me of the loop that goes around Black Mountain in the Lake George area that I hiked this past fall.
Yup, I've done a few overnight trips in that area also. Rock Pond, Lapland Pond, Millman Pond, Fish Pond, and Greeland Pond are all beautiful spots to camp with nice lean-tos on each body of water.

Quote:
Moss Lake is another good hiking option in that general vicinity. There's a loop around the lake that makes for a good half-day outing -- which can be turned into a longer backpacking trip by connecting to another trail that splits Bub & Sis Lakes before heading all the way to Bald Mountain. Having only done the loop around Moss Lake, I can't verify the accuracy of the longer trail that runs parallel to Fulton Chain's northern shore.
I've done the loop around Moss Lake but haven't been over to Bub and Sis Lakes. The Moss Lake sites are nice but clearly also popular.

Quote:
Black Bear Mountain's views, while nice, pale in comparison to nearby Rocky Mountain's which remain my favorite mountaintop views in the entire park, edging out Mount Marcy and the MacIntyre peaks.
I thought about taking a side trip up Rocky Mountain when I was walking past the trailhead and saw all of the cars. But I was also eager to be done with the road walk as quickly as possible.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote