Thread: Tent cozee
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
tenderfoot

DuctTape - re A-Frame. I just recently parted ways with my 30 year old two man Timberline. Would have made a wonderful experimental subject.

Timberghost:
Quote:
"Not criticizing the idea, just sharing experience."
And that is what I am looking for. People with different experiences, skills, opinions. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
"Any insulation/absorb moisture"
I have our hammock under-quilts. Four of them rated down below 20F and are synthetic insulation. I may try stringing these up around the shoulder of the dome. Leave roof vent open for moisture control.

Quote:
"Those 1lb propane tanks will give you maybe 4 hours of heat"
Right. A bit in the morning and a bit at night. Would travel with 2 for use and 1 for back up. Not back country - camping within site or short walk to car for this experiment. Kodiak tent crowd out west, mostly hunters, do the 20lb thing. Not for me.

Quote:
"Place to hang out"
Yup. Play a hand or two of card before turning in. Boots by the door similar to our smaller 3 man tent. After star gazing, camp fire, etc. Or instead of campfire if weather is pissy.

"Fiddly bits"
Great point. We switched to alky stoves a while back preciously because of this. Last modification to hammock gear was a simplification. We actually use simpler gear in winter.

The
Quote:
"primary objective"
for this set of gear is front country glamping. In winter we find exactly what you mentioned. Below a certain temp my IQ drops with the temperature. Simple things take longer. Especially if the weather is wicked. We've rented a cabin/room once or twice and for me I'd rather be out listening to the wind in the trees. Even if it is glamping.

Last year we backpacked to the designated site near MacIntyre Falls on the shoulder of Algonquin in the winter. Was a great experience. Have the gear for it, maybe our 10th winter back country trip (depending on if you consider winter by calendar or snow on ground). Definitely doing the winter backpacking thing again.

Quote:
"require good deal of time to setup"
Google a Kodiak flexbow. <10 min one man set up. Not your traditional canvas tent. Has floors, not really set up for wood stove. Amazing reviews. A true beast - small one starting at 50lbs. So as you say not portable. Manufacturer says "not portable." Reviewers say "not portable." If I got one I would throw it on a pulk for a snow shoe around the local park. But the idea of pulking in Fri night in 3" and then getting 24" sat would really suck. If I went this route I would have to be 100% happy that tent was always within 15' of car. Not portable (I have to keep telling myself that, thinking of all of the sweet spots that are relatively close to trail heads.)

But camping buddy thinks it looks like an "old man tent." (I like to swap 'old' for 'wise' but not sure). Camping buddy also thinking 6 man double walled tent would work in summer for getting non backpacker people out into the great outdoors. Plus it would be hers.

Quote:
"wood stoves & tipi"
I know campfires are illegal in High Peak area (but not at ADK Loj) so count that as a negative for wood stoves - which I believe fall under same rule?? Many other cool areas outside of High Peaks. I also am not keen on getting up, starting fire, and then closing the damper down when we head out for the day. Love the dry heat, ambiance, cooktop, etc. They are pricey. Also, we both are mildly asthmatic and at times smoke plays with that a bit. Can't find a wood stove < $200. The Buddy Heater is $80 and can be used in garage, deck, Covid outdoor family visits - multi-use. Like on family budget I may be able to nudge it out of the "camping" category over to the "lets spend more time with the in-laws" category.

Great feedback.