View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #52
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Here's the problem. Pointing a finger at China, whom we have no control over should have nothing at all to do with whether this country and we "Superior" Americans take responsibility for cutting the co@, etc as much as we can.

My neighbor doesn't recycle, so by that line of reasoning, neither should I. Nor should I drive acar that is economical because most Americans want to drive SUV's or trucks. I shouldn't keep my thermostat at 65 during the day and 50 at night because most other people don't.

I just had a different upbringing. One of the things that I was taught was that true freedom is making decisions on what I think is right, not what other people do or don't do. and I was taught that the right decision is based on it's overall impact on everyone, not just my own self centered, self serving wishes.

But I guess that time is long past. However I will continue to base my actions on what I think is best for my progeny in the future.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson