View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Redhawk, the answer to your questions is that it doesn't matter. We will never see a Global agreement encompassing more than 50% of nations to cut CO2 in our lifetime.
Here is a link to the bad news.
http://www.thegwpf.org/carbon-wars-lost/ (I wish I could just post the Graph for Global CO2 emissions by country but I don't know how).

Initially the Kyoto agreement only included 32% of all global CO2 emissions.
With recent dropouts its down to less than 12%.

In my opinion the only possible way to reduce CO2 is for the world to follow the US in fracking shale deposits. From what I see that may not be possible due the difficulty of where the deposits are and to environmental opposition to fracking itself.
So the future looks bleak.
Actually it DOES matter. Because something won't happen in OUR lifetime it doesn't matter? What about our lineal descendents if not humanity in general?

IMHO it's that kind of thinking (not in my lifetime) that allows people to look at only the short term and base their ecisions on creature comforts rather then sound reasoning. Americans in particular seem make decisions based only on how it affects them personally, short term. That may seem harsh but I have interacted with people on 4 continents and that's my assessment ,

It's too bad that we won't be around to be recognized as the generation that had a chance to change the course, but chose comfort and convenience instead.

As far as Kyoto and it's dropouts, the US didn't set an example. The United States signed the agreement but did not ratify it. One of only 4 U.N. Members out of 191 and the European Union. And lets see, cutting back 1/3 of global emissions is an "only"?!! WOW!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson