Thread: Just a Thought
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
Addwolanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I wouldnít exactly call it failing. Given the mileage of trails in the sw Adirondacks most are really good. Not exactly always dry but not bad. Itís really a function of use. More use keeps trails blazed. I have no complaints about bridges in the area. In Pigeon Lake wa you deal with a lot of wilderness type bridges, cord and toadstools which can be unpleasant but perhaps thatís part of the rugged appeal. I think if that were all boardwalks it wouldnít be much of a wilderness area.

Thereís probably a lot more that could be done in rebuilding and rerouting of historic trails. Some has been done and some is good trail already. Sometimes there isnít a good alternative. But either way even thinking about that is a big process.

If you were to organize a group, which definitely can be done and many exist (although I donít know of one specifically for hiking in this area) I would suggest raising as much money and support as possible for future UMP amendments to reroute or rebuild troubled trail rather than try to revive trails that really donít get used. JMO.

All good points, thank you. I definitely wouldnít want boardwalks everywhere, my specific reference was to the bridge on the trail to stone dam lake because it was there, and it was a beautiful bridge, but it got washed away in the Halloween Storm in 2019.

Amendments to UMPs is a great place to look at and research, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Addwolanin is offline   Reply With Quote