View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I would definitely recommend hitting some more of the southern Finger Lakes falls, although some of those I've never heard of and look quite nice.

Grimes Glen, Parish and Clarks Gully are all good (but extremely popular these days) and in western FLR.

It's off of the Bristol Hills Finger lakes trail about half mile from a lean to called "Outback Inn".

All of these are pretty extensive hikes if you want them to be with a number of waterfalls each. Each "gully" will have a number of primary or side tributary falls depending on how much of it you want to explore.

Parish is a few miles long and if you start at the lowest elevation there you can walk along the creek or up on the rim. A couple spots its fairly easy to go between the two, other spots, it's a bit sketchy. Same for Clarks.

Another lesser known one near Naples is called Tannery Creek. I won't explain how to get there, because I'm not sure it's legal (might be private property) but it's not impossible to find, and I'm not too hard to figure out if it's legal to hike anymore.

Also in that region I can think of a number of other small falls in seasonal drainage gullies leading to the lakes that are on public land. There are trails near some, others require some gully whacking. Pretty much locate the gullies on a map and I bet there will be a falls along it somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestions and pics. Clarks Gully and Conklin Gully are at the top of my Western Finger Lakes wishlist. Will probably do those in the early wintertime. Parish looks really nice. Surprised I've never heard of it before. Grimes Glen was the first hike I remember doing with pandemic-related caution. Looking at the date of the pics I took, that was 3/7/20.

The Southern Finger Lakes is where my biggest gaps are in the region. I'm planning to head out to Ithaca sometime in August to see a few of the waterfalls that I haven't gotten around to yet (looking at Triphammer, Forest, Wells, the ones in the Sweedler/Thayer preserves, and perhaps a return to the Cascadilla Gorge since the pics I took there over a decade ago are extremely crappy). Enfield I'll probably hold off on until it's too cold for all the swimmers who go there in the summertime. Right now it would be too crowded for my liking unless I went there around sunrise.

Fillmore Glen State Park is another place I need to visit sometime; I decided not to go there last year since the main gorge trail was closed.