View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Enough of this talk about sightings.

What's the thought on what the effect will be IF it turned out there was a population or at the very least a mating pair in the Adirondacks?

What impact would it have on the environment, the whitetail population? Coyotes? Humans? Recreating in the Adirondacks (hunting, backpacking, camping, tourism)? What special measures would have to be put in place?
We have never discussed that here.

Hawk
Most people would hardly ever notice the difference even with a thriving viable breeding population of Puma. The "legend" and misinformation far out ways the reality IMO. (People wouldn't disappear in the night etc) Camping in Puma territory never once had me thinking I needed to look over my shoulder.

Nature on the other hand, would very much notice. It might help restore ecological balance as apex predators slightly reduce meso-predators spawning a slight uptick in birds and other prey items of the smaller omnivore/meso-predators. I actually just read a great article from the F&W about the exact subject.
All the way around, it would be a good thing. After all, it would be nice to one day actually see the "wild" in "forever wild" instead of the scarcity of wildlife in the Adirondacks many of us often post about. The only downside is likely from those afraid of "actual" wilderness environments and for whatever decide to carve up the forest and build in the Adirondacks.