View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Kyler
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdirondackBadger View Post
-Is there a viable water source if I bring a filter? If not, how much water would you recommend for each person?
There are two campsites along Gill Brook that have close access to the brook to pump water. Elk Pass is another campsite option (but may be out of the way depending on itinerary) which has two small ponds and brook access.

Quote:
-Where do you park? I had read something about a DEC parking lot??
There is a parking area on Rt 73, which is at the edge of the Ausable Club property. The Roaring Brook parking area is directly across the road as well.

Quote:
-Is it correct that you can have a campfire in this area/at the campsite?
-Any fishing?
Campfires are not allowed in this area. I don't think any of the brooks have fishing that would be worth the effort. There is no fishing on Ausable Club property.

Quote:
-I have basically only done day hikes however have read many logs of hikers making camp and leaving some gear there while bagging a few peaks. Have you ever done this? I feel like I would be too worried about someone walking off with my stuff while I was gone.
I've done this many times in the High Peaks without issue. However, there have been incidents of people having things stolen from campsites. This is not common, and as far as I know mainly has happened at the highly popular camping areas.

Quote:
Any other tips would be appreciated.
Bear canisters are required for food garbage storage for overnight trips. They can be rented from The Mountaineer, EMS, or ADK.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out our sister forum dedicated to hiking in the High Peaks: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/